6.9L Fuel Filter Replacement?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
My fuel filter is fine, it just bugs me that there is no way to drain water out the bottom. I guess I could just stock up on filters - but why do that if I can replace the OEM filtration unit with something a little more visible and have the ability to drain water out the bottom of a glass bowl?

Anyone have any ideas on this front? I'm mostly worried about doing a good job filtering the wmo blend I'm about to start running, and while I'll filter the living daylights out of it before it goes in the tank a little insurance is worth it to me.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a filter that fits our trucks that have a drain on the bottom, I have one on my truck, just don't have the number for it right now.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
There is a filter that fits our trucks that have a drain on the bottom, I have one on my truck, just don't have the number for it right now.

Keep in mind, the 7.3 filter head and the 6.9 filter head have a different thread size where the fuel filter threads on. I don't think we could find a 6.9 filter made like the one that we use on the 7.3 filter heads. The part number for it is in the "sticky" part number post, but the female threads are much larger than those on the 6.9.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fuel filter is fine, it just bugs me that there is no way to drain water out the bottom. I guess I could just stock up on filters - but why do that if I can replace the OEM filtration unit with something a little more visible and have the ability to drain water out the bottom of a glass bowl?

Anyone have any ideas on this front? I'm mostly worried about doing a good job filtering the wmo blend I'm about to start running, and while I'll filter the living daylights out of it before it goes in the tank a little insurance is worth it to me.

Click the "link" in this post :

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=273390&postcount=33

Also, in the parent-thread of that post is another "link" to a picture of the filter-less sediment-bowl/water-seperator that I am using.

Also, a thorough search of the Cummins Filtration site :

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/en/index.shtml

: (click on "catalog") , armed with the thread-size and outer-diameter of your current filter, should yield a quantity of solid-bottom drain-valve equipped filters that will fit right on your existing head.

Here is a picture of one of the many drain-equipped versions that I use on my fleet of Cummins :

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/

On edit : It won't keep the picture, so enter BF1221 in the blank, click Baldwin search, and it should reveal a picture.

I dis-like the hollow-bottom filters that require moving the water-in-fuel sensor/drain-valve from filter to filter.

The type in the picture provides you with a fresh valve of much better design at each filter change.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to swap the 6.9 filter head out for a 7.3 one, and use one of the WIX part numbers listed in the parts bin tech article.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online