6.9 sucking air

idi-guy-tony

Reaction score
87 6.9 sucking air or possible vapor lock ?????????????? idk witch but I drive maybe 5 miles or les it surges and shuts down and can bleed it off and it fires rite up and will run strong for about 2 miles and do it again bleed it off and go maybe 2 more miles and its done wont bleed of wont start let it cool off ad start all over again ...... could it possibly be my $60 Mr. gasket fuel pump not feeding enough fuel or my mechanical pump sucking more than the electric can push ...... should I just do away with the electric do away with the rubber hoses and go with metal lines from tank forward please help

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Tell us more about your setup. Are you running the electric pump inline with the mechanical lift pump, or have to removed/blocked off the mechanical pump? Sounds like your electric pump can't keep up. What's the flow and pressure ratings on it?

idi-guy-tony

Reaction score
in line with the mechanical pump I believe its 5-7 psi idk flow rare it was there when I bought the truck its an el cheap o from auto zone but the fuel system was butchered at one point and I tried to put it back together on a random guys front yard in Sylvester Ga. bypassing all that hacked up trash with standard off the shelf fuel line :frustrate

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Pull your dipstick and see if the oil level has increased and/or smells like diesel. Using an electric pump inline with the mechanical lift pump can riptide the diaphragm and flood the crankcase with fuel.

Since it's inline, your mech pump could just be getting weak as well. Check the tech articles at the top of this sub section (6.9L & 7.3L IDI forum) for the proper way to install an electric pump and delete the mech pump. You can use a Holley Red on the frame rail as an alternative. Lots of good info in the IDI tech articles.

Btw, welcome to the board!

idi-guy-tony

Reaction score
iv cheeked for fuel in oil I'm beginning to think its just starving it with that little electric pump

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What level of fuel in the tanks is this happening mostly? If you are running around 1/4 tank of fuel and this happens then you have broken off suction shower heads in the tanks. Our suction heads will break up and the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked out because the now too short suction end in the tanks is too high. As for running both electric and mechanical lift pumps.. Please don't do that. The electric will ruin the mechanical lift diaphragm and then flood the engine oil pan with fuel. If none of this ends up being a problem then you have a bad suction line. Once again its probably the broken suction shower head getting sucked into the fuel tank switching valve and causing a fuel restriction.

BTW as already posted.. Welcome to the forum....:sly:thumbsup::thumbsup:

idi-guy-tony

Reaction score
it happens with a full tank of fuel that's wht the guy I bought it from thought it was ........... I bought a new mechanical pump and going to run new steel lines from the tank to the pump

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would not run steel lines.
replace the nylon lines, or use aluminum/stainless fuel lines.
dont want to do the job twice.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,those pumps don't last very long.i tried one too.i went the green,diesel rated one,bypassed that small inline filter because i figured it would plug and burn up the pump but it just didn't last.
what's gunna burn ya now is,for 40$ more you could of gotten a high quality,solid state,duralift.
i know how it feels! your not alone!:D
i didn't make the same mistake twice.it was a duralift the first time for the second truck.;)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,those pumps don't last very long.i tried one too.i went the green,diesel rated one,bypassed that small inline filter because i figured it would plug and burn up the pump but it just didn't last.
what's gunna burn ya now is,for 40$ more you could of gotten a high quality,solid state,duralift.
i know how it feels! your not alone!:D
i didn't make the same mistake twice.it was a duralift the first time for the second truck.;)

Had one on ly white rhino...worked ok but not enough fuel delivery...it ..the green pump is now on six wheeler as feed pump....works great in that application....seeing as gravity dont work when going downhill...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online