6.9 Sending unit problem

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
Hello, I currently have a 1984 Ford F250 with the 6.9 diesel. It is an awesome plow truck. Nothing like these older diesels. I just noticed that I had a pretty good size fuel leak under my truck. So I drop the tank and realized that the PO had JB welded the sending unit to the tank to try to fix a hole or something. He must have not let it cure enough because the JB weld was not even hard. So he screwed this thing up beyond belief. I have had a real hard time trying to find a new or even used one. I have seen some posts about people modifying sending units to fit, but not exactly explaining how they modified them. If someone on here could explain how and what sending unit they used, that would be great.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think the opening is the same size as the gas fuel tanks. so find a gas tank from the same type trucks and see if you can modify that to fit. Those suction and return lines are silver soldiered to the cover plate and easy to remove.

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. I saw that the gas sending units only have one line coming from them. I would just have to modify it for the return line then

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
Ok. Haven't heard that one. If you could post a pic or 2 of it, that we be awesome.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. Haven't heard that one. If you could post a pic or 2 of it, that we be awesome.

80-86 - Slantnose or Bullnose:

You must be registered for see images attach

87-91 - Bricknose:

92 - 97 - OBS:

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
Thanks, but I know what the trucks looking like. I have driven all three of those body styles. I was asking for lindstromjd to post of a couple pics of the sending unit he has

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Can you possibly post a pic of your sending unit? I am very interested in it.

Sorry about missing that one, man. I'll try to get some as soon as I can get over to my storage unit. Feel free to PM me and bug me about it; I'll most likely get distracted and forget about it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about missing that one, man. I'll try to get some as soon as I can get over to my storage unit. Feel free to PM me and bug me about it; I'll most likely get distracted and forget about it.

now thats funny...look something shiny...what was I doing again...

ya never happens to me..so dont know why it would to you.