6.9 is best diesel yet....

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, diesels will still be available in ambulances, and the reason for this is that a lot of ambulance companies have shifted from the E-Series to the F-Series for their chassis. I see lots of F450 ambulances with 6.4 engines in them. Haven't seen any 6.7's yet, but i'm sure they're out there.

The E-Series actually had an available diesel option up until 2009, but it was the 6.0 and not the 6.4. Apparently some sort of emissions credits that Ford had saved up allowed them to keep using the 6.0 in limited numbers. I believe that the reason they never put the 6.4 in the van was because of space. The same, I believe, holds true for the 6.7

I think that the ambulance manufacturers are being forced to the F450's because of the lack of the diesel being available in the van. The vans are preferable because they are a bit shorter in length, fit in a bay easier and you can walk from the front to the back without even going outside. I don't know if you can do that with the F450 but if you can it is because the ambulance manufacturer cut the back of the cab which weakens the vehicle structure.

When I bought my truck from Sharpsburg Maryland they replaced the two ambulances they were selling(one of which I bought) with the E450 back in 2001. The squad they held them in were able to handle the E350 with ease but the E450 was taller and came within 2" or so of touching the ceiling. Now if they had to get the F450's they would also have to lengthen the bays they house them in.

I know some of the squads around here are all volunteer and if they had to increase the size of the bay they probably would not be able to afford to as the squads were built around the time they were using the Cadillac commercial chassis based ambulances.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Its not International or Fords fault. Its the EPAs fault. If it werent for them the 6.0 would only be known as a small block chevy and the T444E would still be made in INDY.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Most ambulance's around here... are either on a F-Series chassis, our FD had 2 a 2000, and a 2001 F-350 based chassis. As did several surrounding departments. When we replaced our 2 ambulances, we stepped up to a medium duty chassis. One is a freight-shaker and the other is a GMC Chassis. I believe they both have kitties under the hood. Most of the FD's in this county, and Marion county (Indy) have started using the Medium Duty chassis. They are bigger, and have more room. You can also move from the cab to the box without going outside......

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I drove a 6.7 the other day...yeah its got power but I look under the hood and there is NOTHING that I could fix by myself, Im surprised that I found the oil fill. Down the road things WILL go wrong and need attention and a guy would have to have it towed to the stealership everytime....:puke: Unlike our idi's which we can at least get to most things under the hood.
The owner of the truck said the engine light has come on and off a few times, hes not too impressed with the fuel mileage even though its better than the 6.4. But come on; we are in 2011 we should be building diesels that get better mileage than a compable diesel of 25 years ago like our idi's...mine gets well over 20mpg empty and this 6.7 sure didn't even come close.
So I will choose to live without the huge power, mileage, electronics and stick with an idi.
And im embarassed to see newer Ford diesels broke or on a hook, gives all of them a bad reputation. I aint a chevy or dodge man but no wonder ambulances are switching to Chev units with the Duramax diesel. At least they are up here in BC Canada anyways.....

gatorman21218

Reaction score
How come Ford had to change their engine to comply with the epa but chevy has the same one since 2000?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The 6.6 Duramax has gone through many revisions to where it is today. Best thing about it was they started it out as common rail, which was smart.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
There have been changes to the Duramax.
Keep in mind as well that it came out in 2001 where the laws requiring future emissions reductions were already on the books, so they designed it with that in mind. The 7.3 however was designed and produced by 94, so they didn't design it to be as easy to bring up to emission standards. Now, they probably could have designed the 6.0 to be more flexible(thank heavens they didn't, or we'd still have it in production) though.