6.9 install questions

oldoiler

Reaction score
As I said in my last post. I recently purchased( last thursday) a 1986 F250HD extended cab 4speed 4X4 with a bad motor. I tore into the front axle(dana 50ifs) and replaced the axle shaft u joints at the steering knuckles, repacked wheel bearings, installed new rotor on the right side and new front brake pads. On sunday I pulled a good running 6.9 out of a 1987 E250. I am hoping to install this engine in my truck tomorrow. I have noticed some differences between the 2 engines. I am wondering which differences are due to the engine being a 1987 and what is van specific. I noticed the the glow plug contol relay is different on the van engine and also mounted at the rear of the engine under the air cleaner. I would like to use this set up but it is different than the one one my F250's engine.What will I have to change wiring wise to use the newer relay? The fuel filter is also mounted in a different position on the engine. The van engine is on the left side of the valley, while the pickups filter is mounted behind the alternator. Any advantage to one location vs the other? I'd have to switch feed lind from filter to IP if I stick with the alternator mount on the ex van engine. I will be using the flywheel of my truck engine rather than the flex plate from the van. Any special considerations when doing this? Thanks for the responses.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oldoiler said:
I am wondering which differences are due to the engine being a 1987 and what is van specific. I noticed the the glow plug contol relay is different on the van engine and also mounted at the rear of the engine under the air cleaner. I would like to use this set up but it is different than the one one my F250's engine.What will I have to change wiring wise to use the newer relay?
The glow plug setup on the van is due to it being an '87. The '87-'94 trucks have this system too. It's FAR superior to the '83-'86 setup. I'm actually going to be converting to this system this week (unless something bad happens, again)...and I still don't have all the answers regarding the wiring. When I figure it out, if you haven't done the wiring yet, I'll let you know. :)

The fuel filter is also mounted in a different position on the engine. The van engine is on the left side of the valley, while the pickups filter is mounted behind the alternator. Any advantage to one location vs the other? I'd have to switch feed lind from filter to IP if I stick with the alternator mount on the ex van engine. I will be using the flywheel of my truck engine rather than the flex plate from the van. Any special considerations when doing this? Thanks for the responses.
The filter location is different due to it being a van engine. The pickup filter setup is located such that, were it to be used in a van, you wouldn't be able to service the filter. There's no major advantage to having it in one location over another in the truck, unless it gets in the way of the a/c compressor (my old E-series didn't come with a/c, so I dont' know how they interacted). Beyond that, if you wanted to put a coolant filter in, you could use the van mount for one filter and the truck mount for the other...I would have done something like that, except that my turbo airbox uses the holes that the van filter mount would bolt to.

The oil cooler assembly's slightly different on the van engine as well...I think it's to compensate for different engine mounts. I THINK the van oil cooler will go into the truck okay, but not vice-versa...I may be mistaken, though, so keep the difference in mind when installing the engine.

As to the flywheel replacing the flexplate, I think it's pretty straightforward...I wouldn't worry about it. I would recommend replacing the rear main seal, simply because you're already there. Is it mounting to a T-19 or a ZF5? If you can get your hands on a Kevlar pilot bushing, I'd recommend going that route. :)

Hope that helps some...good luck! :)

oldoiler

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply. I have a t-19 trans. I have been contemplating changing the rear seal. It doesn't leak at all now, the torque converter in the van was totally dry. I may leave it alone since I can change it by removing the trans mission later. I may regret this decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online