6-71 inline gov issues

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have met a detroit 2stroke that i cant make run right, its in the sons bus.
No matter what we set the whole rack tune up procedure to it seems like there is too much slack in the throttle lever, did it by the book, gov gap perfect, full throttle lever position, fuel rack screws perfect.
Kid goes to go with us camping and it wont pull the little hill by their house, so I had him bury the gov gap screw, that made more rack movement to get it thru the weekend. I am wondering if the weight housing shaft is faulty, looked perfect when off. it is a duaal weight gov . the gap screw was buried when we pulled the 2 valve head so I bet this was a previous problem.
I have never had this problem before and have made these engines make rated power for years on airport equipment, so its not me its the damn gremlins.
Thanks in advance
russ

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
nothing to do with the Gov, but are you sure when he mashes the pedal that the throttle lever has full travel?
Just trying to think in another direction.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ... Just reading what you posted seems to really tell lots about the po issues with the rig. Without actually seeing it or knowng much about detroits you wag guess based on what you have done is the pump is going *****. Making the needed adjustments past the factory specs kinda tells me whats happening. I bet after you posted this and reread it you already know whats going on. Like towcat said once... You got to drive them like your pissed off all the time...:eek::angel:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing to do with the Gov, but are you sure when he mashes the pedal that the throttle lever has full travel?
Just trying to think in another direction.

that became the first check on my list many years ago, many races have been lost because of this.

But I like the way you think.;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ... Just reading what you posted seems to really tell lots about the po issues with the rig. Without actually seeing it or knowng much about detroits you wag guess based on what you have done is the pump is going *****. Making the needed adjustments past the factory specs kinda tells me whats happening. I bet after you posted this and reread it you already know whats going on. Like towcat said once... You got to drive them like your pissed off all the time...:eek::angel:

gary, 2 stroke detroits, well the 4 stroke also has a gear pump to fill the injectors and a restrictor fitting to maintain rail pressure, they are DI ,with a rocker that pushes on the injector to inject fuel.
we definately have a governor control/rack travel issue.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait for Geo to surface in Philly. i think he is in transit from louisiana. as far as I am concerned, there's nothing he doesn't know about 2stroke detroits.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Smack it with a hammer, It's a GM.
...when we pulled the 2 valve head...

Ok, this is an old one.
Got a feeling the governor is crap. Check your local yards, I would look around here, but I know where all 6 of em are, and the owner won't come off em.

P.S. Do NOT listen to the smack it with a hammer part, it would feel good, but gets expensive fast.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Thanks for the flowers Cal :angel:
I messaged my # to Russ so we can talk in real time and avoid post and wait double posts...
..... we can work him thru this:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smack it with a hammer, It's a GM.
I wil explain the problem but here is a copy from his saga

"crying just realizing I drove to Burning Man 2011 and back in The Ghost with someone's ghetto shutdown holding me at about 75% max power. FML!!!!

In other news...a hammer has fixed the issue."

Ok, this is an old one.
Got a feeling the governor is crap. Check your local yards, I would look around here, but I know where all 6 of em are, and the owner won't come off em.

P.S. Do NOT listen to the smack it with a hammer part, it would feel good, but gets expensive fast.
I will explain what he found..

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked with Geo today , Brandon had already found the problem, the shutdown lever under the cover had been modded from a thin roll pin, to a flat steel welded on and it was so wide it was limiting max rack travel.

Geo we wil talk again sometime, and thanks a bunch. I gotta check the surplus places for a new cover. Plus he wants to turbo it and blow into a handhole thru a flapper valve, big one I assume, I cant find a bypass blower end anywhere.

Oh and for facebook users

http://www.facebook.com/groups/146003308746189/

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
happy you found it. Was kinda what I was asking when I mentioned him pushing the pedal.

least you can run the engines wot with the cover off on the inlines with no problems, makes it easy to spot stuff like this.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I still want to find him a whole weight shaft and riser asssy off a runner in a yard, to many mismatches of parts on this thing, I think the engine rebuilder way back was one of those "off the shelf" types that didnt use what came in on the original.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Talked with Geo today ,

Geo we wil talk again sometime, and thanks a bunch. I gotta check the surplus places for a new cover. Plus he wants to turbo it and blow into a handhole ....I cant find a bypass blower end anywhere.

Good talking to ya Russ even tho connection was ******!

BTW....they do make bypass end plates for 6-71 blowers...:D the 485 hp forward plan marine 6-71 TIB= Turbo/ Intercooled/ BY-Pass blower.
these engines were available from both Johnston Towers and
Stewart +Stevenson...happy hunting! there are a shitload of them out there...good powerplants but at the limits for long life due to huge injectors and mechanical control....too much cyl washdown at low speeds....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Very important!!!....now that I have signal again...

Russ, in order for him to put a hair drier on that.....the blower shaft seals will need changing from lip type to ring and carrier.........quick way to tell if looking for one is by how much drag is felt when turning by hand.....n/a blowers with lip seals have more drag than turbo with ring/carrier.
Also cyl kits and rings are diff.........besides some sort of throttle delay/modulator etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online