6-71 inline gov issues

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Also cyl kits and rings are diff.........besides some sort of throttle delay/modulator etc

Is this stuff really necessary though? I mean like the IDIT had bigger wrist pins, and a better oil cooler, and bigger main webs, but it wasn't necessary.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Is this stuff really necessary though? I mean like the IDIT had bigger wrist pins, and a better oil cooler, and bigger main webs, but it wasn't necessary.

With respective compression ratios of around 23:1 na and 18:1 turbo.....a few factors come into play...
1- being weather it has trunk style [one piece] pistons or cross head [separate crown/skirt]
2- keystone fire ring[top ring of 3 comp rings]
3- liner ports
4-steallite exh valves
5-the above mentioned blower seals so all the boost doesn't find it's way into the crankcase = not good!
6- a modulated fuel rack to prevent dumping a ton of fuel without the boost pressure to condense it...in other words a sort of time delay till boost pressure can burn the delivered fuel...
There are a few other items but you get the idea...

NOW---can it be done ...SURE just toss a turbo on and go....Question is will what is in there hold it?????

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I recall the NA vs Turbo'd Detroit compression was 16:1 vs 15:1 maybe I'm wrong tho but it isn't nearly as severe as 23:1 vs 18:1

course in the end it is all about what level a particular engine is being built for, I like going heavy on everything because broken parts suck :p

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
I recall the NA vs Turbo'd Detroit compression was 16:1 vs 15:1 maybe I'm wrong tho but it isn't nearly as severe as 23:1 vs 18:1

Whoopsie!!! my mistake....been messing and talking about these Navistars more in the past years ...

Anywho...right from the field service data book..
Old style comp ratio of 17:1 New N series 18.5:1New Style turbo 17:1.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah, dont' have my books on me, I knew it was only a point or so tho.

I have to wonder how a NA direct injection engine would run with 23-1 compression.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
yeah, dont' have my books on me, I knew it was only a point or so tho.

I have to wonder how a NA direct injection engine would run with 23-1 compression.

It would probably be quite efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online