6.2 vs. 6.5 T

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
A friend has a 6.2 in a 1985 3/4 ton truck. He is going to turbo it eventually, and today we were talking about 6.5 turbo and manifolds. Will the 6.5 exhaust manifolds bolt to a 6.2 block? Is a 6.5 a bored out version of a 6.2? in the fords, a 6.9 and 7.3 are the SAME block with different sleves and pistons. Any imput on this? I am not a chevy diesel man, but I am willing to learn.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Same block and heads except for displacement difference. Manifolds and turbo can be transferred over from the 6.5 to the 6.2

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend has a 6.2 in a 1985 3/4 ton truck. He is going to turbo it eventually, and today we were talking about 6.5 turbo and manifolds. Will the 6.5 exhaust manifolds bolt to a 6.2 block? Is a 6.5 a bored out version of a 6.2? in the fords, a 6.9 and 7.3 are the SAME block with different sleves and pistons. Any imput on this? I am not a chevy diesel man, but I am willing to learn.
it's a bolt-up.
with only one problem area.
the oil cooler ports will need brass parts to be adapted in.
check out my thread on a 6.5 conversion into a '83 light 3/4t pu.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
A 6.5L is a 6.2L bored .080 over. The older 6.2L blocks have a higher nickel content and
seem to be more durable than the 6.5L version, from my research anyway.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
10-4!So the optimal engine would be 6.5 manifolds, turbo and serpentine accessories on a 6/2 block? Kind of like 7.3 hardware on a 6.9 block!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your buddy looking for the parts to convert cause I know where theres a 96 6.5 turbo that I could get the parts from for a decent price.

4320diesel

Turbo 6.2L
Reaction score
i did the exact same thing on my 85 6.2. it was simple. lots of fabricating though.... the 6.5 heads have a different injector angle to let the turbo manifold fit. a 6.5 turbo manifold will fit but the manifold and injector nuts will have to be ground off a slight bit.
marine injectors are a waste of money on a 6.2 unless its got abig jesus injection pump. the 6.2 injection pump wont even max out 6.5 injectors. also watch your EGT's max for a 6.2 is 1100*F boost max is 10 psi.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Captain Morgan just finished doing a 6.5T/6.2T conversion, turned out good. Take a look in the 6.2/6.5 GM section.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
6.5L Heads will make it easier, but I done mine with 6.2L heads. The injector lines will need a little "adjusting" for proper fit an clearance.
I did no grinding on anything to fit my Turbo and related hardware to the 6.2L. I was not able to get the heat shield back in
place and had to modify a bracket for the dipstick tube. I still haven't finished it yet, we stripped out the interior for a good
cleaning this evening. Vacuum lines and downpipe still are not on yet. Alternator needs attention, a case swap with the old one
will cure it. (Unrelated to the swap.)

4320diesel

Turbo 6.2L
Reaction score
my turbo and manifold were off a 1993 6.5 i think. i had to grind the exhaust manifold and the injector nuts a bit. and it fit like a glove. whyd you have to deal with the dipstick? did you change that manifold or something? my downpipe is quite a deal but my truck is a old body style so theres little room for a downpipe in there.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
The dipstick mounted to the metal bracket that bolted to the valve cover similar to the one the heat shield went on under the turbo. I cut it in half and used one bolt in the
Valve cover to secure it. The brackets and heat shield wouldn't clear the injector lines,
so they couldn't stay. I ordered a used down pipe from eBay and it is a little different,
I haven't fit it yet. Worst case I will use it as parts to repair the broken flange on my old one.

4320diesel

Turbo 6.2L
Reaction score
oh i see i forgot that was a newer engine. my dipstick is on the driverside so i didnt have to deal with it(except for when my rear main seal blew then oil pan gaskets wouldnt hold)

sootman73

Reaction score
Is your buddy looking for the parts to convert cause I know where theres a 96 6.5 turbo that I could get the parts from for a decent price.

is the turbo good? i'm looking for one to put on my 7.3l. what spec cis it? GM-#?