6.2 transmission options

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about changing the transmission in the 91 suburban. It has a 4 speed out of a gasser in it now that somone has converted to a hydrolic clutch by making there own bracket for the slave cylinder. The problem is the clutch is so stiff and there is very little pedal travel, its either ON or OFF lol. Also the ratios in the trans do not match the powerband verywell at all.
I'm concidering going back to an auto but I would like overdrive. If I keep the manual I need to find a trans/tcase that will work with my passenger side drop front axle.
What are my optiond here? I cant remember since its been so long since I had a GM truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have two choices. both not cheap.
choice #1....THM400, NP205, and a gear vendor hanging off it's butt.
choice #2....4L80E, and NP205
both will require driveshaft modification.
choice #2 will require additional wiring and ECM in order to work.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
You forgot the obvious choice: a TH-700R4 as used in my wife's diesel Blazer. No computer needed, bolts in like it was designed to (because it was).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You forgot the obvious choice: a TH-700R4 as used in my wife's diesel Blazer. No computer needed, bolts in like it was designed to (because it was).
I'm not so fond of the THM700 due to the weight of the burb and the fact it's 4wd. I suspect that's the reason why there's a 4spd there in the first place.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys thats what I was thinking for autos but wasnt sure if there was a 205 case that would bolt to the 4L80E. How about manuals? OD would be nice but as it is now I only have 3 useable gears anyway. lol

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys thats what I was thinking for autos but wasnt sure if there was a 205 case that would bolt to the 4L80E. How about manuals? OD would be nice but as it is now I only have 3 useable gears anyway. lol
the 205/4L80E existed from the factory existed in 1991 only. I've been patiently searching for one for some time.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 82 Burb 4x4 has the 700R4 in it and has never had an issue. True, it still has the 235-75/15s on it so it may be in the right power band, but I've never had any problems with it and motivation.

I've been considering picking up a second 6.2 to repower an older truck of mine that has a 4 speed in it. I'm under the belief that all I need is a flywheel for a 6.2, and the appropriate clutch set. Would that be right? I seriously don't need a hydraulic clutch, so like all the tractors on the farm, I'm keeping it simple.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 82 Burb 4x4 has the 700R4 in it and has never had an issue. True, it still has the 235-75/15s on it so it may be in the right power band, but I've never had any problems with it and motivation.

I've been considering picking up a second 6.2 to repower an older truck of mine that has a 4 speed in it. I'm under the belief that all I need is a flywheel for a 6.2, and the appropriate clutch set. Would that be right? I seriously don't need a hydraulic clutch, so like all the tractors on the farm, I'm keeping it simple.
what you're looking for is the mechanical linkage for any GM gasser 73-91 C/K/R/V series. you will need a 6.2/6.5 flywheel but everything else behind it is the same as a gasser.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
I'm not so fond of the THM700 due to the weight of the burb and the fact it's 4wd. I suspect that's the reason why there's a 4spd there in the first place.

I have seen a TH-700 holding up behind a 502 Rat in a tag-axle Pace Arrow motorhome towing a trailer (combined weight about 30K). An underpowered 6.2 in a SUburban is no problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726