6.2 flywheel ?

warwick

Reaction score
it was my understanding that the 6.2 is externaly balanced with the flywheel. however while doing research for an engine swap two people said that its the harmonic balancer that is how the 6.2 is balanced.

here is what i'm working on and i don't want to break the crank shaft or have other troubles;

'68 M715 w/

6.2 diesel from a cucv

3053A OD tranny from a duece and half

NP205 divoreced

Dana60/coperate14B 4.56gears 38"tires

anyway, can you all confirm if the 6.2 has a balanced flywheel or can i use other flywheels and its the harmonic balancer i need to worrie about.

thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmm.....
I honestly don't have any background on the flywhee assy's on the 6.2/6.5, but I do know that on the flexplates for the AT, there weren't any balance weights to be found. Will visually confirm in an hour. Got three motors on the ground right now.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
As far as I know the harmonic balancer is the only external part that matters. With this said the best thing to do would be to find the flywheel you're going to use and have the 6.2 crank balanced with it and the harmonic balancer on. Vibration is what kills these engines. It wouldn't be much extra work if your in as far as you seem to be, just have to pull the pan and remove the crank. Gives ya a good reason to re-seal the oil pan and put in new main seals.

warwick

Reaction score
towcat did you get a chance to check your 6.2 flexplates?

dieseldummy thanks for the idea, that hadn't crossed my mind gives more options on bolting these two together. thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just confirmed. No additional weighting or bias. It is indexed to the crank bolts tho. If you need photographic confirm, I can post later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726