6.0 upgrades

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm about ready to spend some money on this truck now, I read about several upgrades over a period of time, just trying to do the ones that will make the engine reliable since the power level is very good as it is.

I read about the egr delete and the oil cooler upgrade, afaik the egr mod isn't as simple as disconnecting the plug from the unit is this right? Another thing that concerns Me more is the oil cooler, right now the engine seems to get a bit warmer than I'm used to on a diesel, the overflow overflows some times but the oil looks normal not milky. I read somewhere here about a fitting one can get from ford to upgrade the one on the engine, is this for the oil cooler? will this make all the difference or should I go with something else?
and just in case, anything else I should do to it?

Thank You.

polksfinest

Reaction score
Check BulletProofDiesel they sell a really good kit for the oil cooler problems that the 6.0s have or you could get a kit from MKM Customs they give you every thing you need for the 6.0 for around 1800.00 and that includes an EGR delete, head studs, head gaskets, nozzle washers, o-rings, there oil cooler and all gaskets you need to do the job. In past dealings with the 6.0s it is definitely worth the money if you want to bullet proof your 6.0. As for the EGR delete the whole thing and depending on the year you will need a tuner if you have any

Respectfully Submitted
Josh Ballard
Lakeland Diesel

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MKM sells a kit with an upgraded EGR cooler also if you don't want to get the tuner. I've done them both ways myself. As to Bulletproof they have a nice kit but it EXPENSIVE!!! Myself I would rather spend the time and money doing the MKM customs master kit and be done with it.

As to the fitting they are talking about more than likely it is the upgrade from the snap-to-connect fitting. It completely does away with it an makes it a solid connection. Very worthwile upgrade in my opinion. I just picked up an 03 I'm going to swap the HPOP pump on then do the EGR delete and run it till it dies then put a MKM kit on it.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MKM sells a kit with an upgraded EGR cooler also if you don't want to get the tuner. I've done them both ways myself. As to Bulletproof they have a nice kit but it EXPENSIVE!!! Myself I would rather spend the time and money doing the MKM customs master kit and be done with it.

As to the fitting they are talking about more than likely it is the upgrade from the snap-to-connect fitting. It completely does away with it an makes it a solid connection. Very worthwile upgrade in my opinion. I just picked up an 03 I'm going to swap the HPOP pump on then do the EGR delete and run it till it dies then put a MKM kit on it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You guys, been reading as much as I can to catch up. I will be installing a coolant filter kit first and the start with all the rest. I will need some gauges to monitor things and would appreciate some advice here, I see there are 3 gauge kits from diesel manor where I usually get My gauges but I also see there is this plug IN scanner type options, are this reliable? I would want something with EGT, Trans temp and water temp at the least.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I found this one, is this for real? Where are all the sensors? or does it read from the ECM/PCM? is that possible/reliable? Anyone have one of this?

Thank You.

polksfinest

Reaction score
the Edge insight is an awesome gauge pod but to use the egt prob you have to get the accessory kit it is like the Lego of tuners you can add all kinds of stuff they are update able and you can just buy it as a gauge with out the tunning i just did a duramax this past weekend he got the back up camera the pyro and a bunch of other stuff but that is neither here nor there but you would be very please with it as a gauge

Exekiel69

Reaction score
the Edge insight is an awesome gauge pod but to use the egt prob you have to get the accessory kit it is like the Lego of tuners you can add all kinds of stuff they are update able and you can just buy it as a gauge with out the tunning i just did a duramax this past weekend he got the back up camera the pyro and a bunch of other stuff but that is neither here nor there but you would be very please with it as a gauge

You need to turn ON Your pm.:thumbsup:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Yes I ordered the kit yesterday, should I run an additive to help unplug the coolers? for how long?

Thank You.

My thought on the additive is no. Reason being is I would be afraid of knocking anything loose and further plugging the oil cooler if its plugged or causing plugging to begin with. I would just flush it with tap water a couple of times then flush it with distilled water. Then fill it up with your elc.

How does the coolant look now? So long as you don't have crap floating around in your degas bottle Id say you should be fine.

I have to service an ambulance this week that has a 6.0 in it. It only has about 8000 miles on it and the coolant looks like crap. There is crap floating around inside the degas bottle. Its getting switched over to elc. I'm trying to convince them to put a coolant filter on it.

polksfinest

Reaction score
If there is sediment in your degas bottle or your coolant is brown i would deff do a coolant flush then put on you coolant filter kit. it would suck to put on the kit and in 2 weeks you got to replace the filter because it is clogged. did you decide what you where going to do for your gauges

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online