Reaction score
Oh crap! I'm late to the party.

You must be registered for see images

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I have an 86 e250 6.9 that runs on veggie otherwise stock for now.
I just found a guy on CR that has an 89 e350 7.3 with a five speed tranny and a dana 60 up front.
I'm hoping to pick up most of the truck but I'm just not sure about how the transmission is gonna bolt up to my bell housing.
I know I'm gonna need some custom crossmember action but does anyone out there know anything about this tranny and or have made this swap before.
Sorry to change the subject but I figured this was the right place to post.
Hey dragrag I was wondering if you have a picture of your over/under drive as it sits in your van. just curious.

pescadolips

akbuilder
Reaction score
Here's One:
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/1557472070.html

There's quite a few up here in Alaska. That one is likely a North Slope rig - would explain the webasto heater. I have a 91 E-350 extended body with a 7.3. Dana 60 in front w/4x4 conversion done by Advanced Four Wheel Drive Systems. Started off life as a Northern CA Forest Service reforestation rig (one of several that came up on ebay a few years back)- now I use it in my carpentry biz. I just put a new long block in it from promar last summer. My condolences goto anyone doing an engine swap.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I've always wanted to find an IDI van with a 4 or 5 speed on the floor. But I looked everywhere, never found one. Not even a 2 wheel drive IDI standard van.

DragRag

Reaction score
Oh crap! I'm late to the party.

How did you get the front of your van so high? I want to bump mine up in the front, how did you do it, or was it like that already?

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
Sorry guys
earlier when I said I found an e-350 for a donor truck I meant to say an F350.
It's a pickup. oops.
I doubt that any of the vans came with that tranny.

DragRag

Reaction score
They never came with a manual, it would be a transplant if. The floor space on the vans is pretty small though, I doubt it would be convenient or easy to work with.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They never came with a manual, it would be a transplant if. The floor space on the vans is pretty small though, I doubt it would be convenient or easy to work with.
Actually, there WERE two manual transmissions offered in the E-series in the early '80's. There was a 3 speed column-shift and a 4 speed floor-shift with 4th being an overdrive gear. IIRC they were only offered behind the 300 ci straight-6 and the 302. I'm not sure when they were killed off, but my 1984 FSM describes the setup. I've only ever seen one 4 speed floor-shift '80's E-series with my own eyes, though....shame I didn't have a camera with me at the time!

I would love to swap a ZF5 into a van someday...it wouldn't be easy, but I don't think it would be impossible, either. Call me cookoo but I actually like the E-series front end (particularly the '92+), but I'm not really a fan of slushboxes....even though my M-B has one...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online