4wd front wheel bearing

Nick88745

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I started to tackle another project on my 1994 7.3 turbo 4wd IDI today

The front wheel bearing is shot, and I started to take off the old one. So far I have the wheel off and have removed the outer cap+ the outer bearing. Now I am stuck. How do I get the rotor hub off the truck to get at the rear bearing? I found some info online on how to do this on a 2wd truck like mine but not a 4wd. If anyone could help me with this it would be appreciated, and if there is any way you could list the rest of the steps for the disassembly/ assembly it would make my life allot easier. oh ya do I need to use a press when it comes to putting the new bearings in?
random side question- front seal of the bearings has lock/unlock mechanism.... what is that?

Thank You

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a 6 pronged hub socket. Most parts stores have them. You need one without the ding **** in the middle

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a 6 pronged hub socket. Most parts stores have them. You need one without the ding **** in the middle

Nick88745

Reaction score
Without the ding **** in the middle ? Do you know if ill need to press the new bearings in ?

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not six prong. You will need a four prong spindle nut socket that has a 1/2 socket wrech drive in the back, Dana 50 and 60 should be the same socket. OTC makes them and you can buy them from Amazon or get one at a local parts store. They use a jam nut and lock ring system. Loosen the outer jam nut and remove it from the spindle, use a pick to remove the lock ring from from the nut with the pin, remove that nut, then remove the spacer and the whole hub/rotor will come off. Pull the seal on the back of the hub and the inner bearing will come out. You will destroy the old seal getting it out so get a wheel seal for each side when you get the socket. Install in reverse and torque the first nut to 50ft-lb then lose no more than 1/4 turn to get the pin in the nut and the lock ring to seat. Tighten the outer nut to a grunt or grunt and a half. You should be able to freeze the bearimg race and drop them in or lightly tap them in If they astill hang up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I started to tackle another project on my 1994 7.3 turbo 4wd IDI today

The front wheel bearing is shot, and I started to take off the old one. So far I have the wheel off and have removed the outer cap+ the outer bearing. Now I am stuck. How do I get the rotor hub off the truck to get at the rear bearing? I found some info online on how to do this on a 2wd truck like mine but not a 4wd. If anyone could help me with this it would be appreciated, and if there is any way you could list the rest of the steps for the disassembly/ assembly it would make my life allot easier. oh ya do I need to use a press when it comes to putting the new bearings in?
random side question- front seal of the bearings has lock/unlock mechanism.... what is that?

Thank You

Whoa folks said he has the OUTER bearing off already...

Did you remove the caliper and slide the hub assembly with disc off the spindle?

Maybe you need to slow down and confirm what you have removed

This though much worse then what you are doing has some clear pictures.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...4x-hub-stuck-on-OMG&highlight=dana+60+spindle

The FOUR prong spindle bearing lock nut is visible...how far down are you???? Did you actually get the spindle nut removed and the outter bearing out?

Just curious and I'm going with what YOU are saying!

Nick88745

Reaction score
Thank You Cayote_Red. Very Helpful. Now I just need to find the right size Spindle Nut Socket at the auto store

Nick88745

Reaction score
Yes I obviously removed the caliper. I am down to where I need the spindle socket.....I just don't know what size to purchase at the auto store. Does anyone know if the new bearings come with a new spring , because mine is ruined.

Thanks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bearings with new spring...nope no new spring, not sure but I'm thinking you are talking about HUBS!

If you need the socket...you DON"T have the outter bearing out. You likely have the LOCKING HUB off!

The spindle nut socket should be listed at the auto parts store, ask them for one for your year and model of your truck, that should provide the correct one.

Hope that helps. While there get a chiltons or haynes manual on the truck too for you to use! good spend of 20 bucks.

Nick88745

Reaction score
thank you riotwarrior.

Sorry I am a little confused about the spring in your last post. The spring that was in the hub is broke.... where can I get a new one and what do I ask for at the store?
The Jockey at the store said he could not look up the spindle socket for my truck.....
- so I should be purchasing the bearings, the seal, ... and anything els? What about the metal snap ring things?

Sorry this is my first bearing that's not on a trailer.... little more complicated. I need to get this truck back on the road by Monday that's why I dove into this without more research.

Thank You

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank you riotwarrior.

Sorry I am a little confused about the spring in your last post. The spring that was in the hub is broke.... where can I get a new one and what do I ask for at the store?
The Jockey at the store said he could not look up the spindle socket for my truck.....
- so I should be purchasing the bearings, the seal, ... and anything els? What about the metal snap ring things?

Sorry this is my first bearing that's not on a trailer.... little more complicated. I need to get this truck back on the road by Monday that's why I dove into this without more research.

Thank You
You posted previously in post #8 about the spring and new bearings.

Clearly you've an idiot at the parts store. Sorry but he is and can't think past his own ******! He is not a parts man he's a counter person and not a good one at that.

New Inner and outer bearings and races and a seal. It's not much different than the trailer you are talking about, just a few more parts is all, from the spindle lock nut out...and obviously the sizes LOL so don't feel your in over your head.

If you can't get a socket for the application to remove it you can use a punch and hammer and carefully tap the notch and remove the nut. Then go get the socket.

I'm drinking beers right now and NOT about to run out to my shop and get the KD tools part # for the socket. I'll check tomorrow.

If you can try another parts store or check ebay.

One thing I don't know what model of truck F250 or 350 you are working on but the two of them should be one and the same D50 or D60 both have the same spindle nut!

Hope that helps PUT YOUR INFO IN YOUR Signature as we can help better knowing what truck and options ya got!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The picture above does not show any 4x4 lockout parts. So if nothing in the above picture looks familiar yet, you have a ways to go. Since you are thinking about getting the special socket, I am assuming you HAVE NOT got the outer bearing off yet.

You probably have the "clicker" type of locknut system that the socket will fit into. And if you have a regular cab f250, you could have a dana 44ttb which would take the smaller special socket.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick, does your setup look like this?

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/wrn-61420c0-pn20990.pdf

If so and the spring is ruined (post #8) you would have two choices...

Find one at the pic and pull, or buy a new manual lock hub (Warner), they come with good illustrated instructions and be sure to pack the new bearings with good high temp grease... I like to hand pack the bearings, it's the best way to get the junk grease out and it makes sure that the bearing is completely packed with the good high temperature grease...

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The picture above does not show any 4x4 lockout parts. So if nothing in the above picture looks familiar yet, you have a ways to go. Since you are thinking about getting the special socket, I am assuming you HAVE NOT got the outer bearing off yet.

You probably have the "clicker" type of locknut system that the socket will fit into. And if you have a regular cab f250, you could have a dana 44ttb which would take the smaller special socket.

Thanks for this image, this is what you would see if you purchased a manual for your truck so there is a great advantage to having one as I suggested

Nick, does your setup look like this?

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/wrn-61420c0-pn20990.pdf

If so and the spring is ruined (post #8) you would have two choices...

Find one at the pic and pull, or buy a new manual lock hub (Warner), they come with good illustrated instructions and be sure to pack the new bearings with good high temp grease... I like to hand pack the bearings, it's the best way to get the junk grease out and it makes sure that the bearing is completely packed with the good high temperature grease...

DaytonaBill

Good picture!

Just and FYI its WARN pronounced Warren for the replacement hubs, there is also Superwinch hubs available as well.

If the OP has to have it running ASAP he can repack bearings and install hub cap and NO Internal splined portion, that would be the part I had to use the cutting torch to get off, this would allow him to put the cap on to keep dirt out until he can get a replacement hub.

He would NOT have 4x4 mind you but he would be mobile.

Hope this all helps ya out. Oh BTW, Socket No is and this is my socket a KD Tools one #KD 3246
I took this this morning to show ya!

Hope that helps ya out some

Nick88745

Reaction score
Thank You For all the help guys.

I went around looking for the socket today and had no luck, so I guess I will have to look for it online....fml

Here are some pictures of the spring I am concerned about......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle