4r100 Deep Sump pan ?

DMcV

Reaction score
I am going to get a deep sump pan for my tranny..... as recomended by my machanic.
For towing my 5th wheel etc.
My Questions are.....
What size , i.e. how much more capasity, should I get to make it worth while ?
Is there anyone out there that has added a larger tranny oil pan...and what brand did you get ?
look forward to any suggestions.
Thank you
Dennis

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Dennis send me a private message and I can give you some information on pans.

Thanks, Steve

DMcV

Reaction score
Steve, Did you get my message ?
I'm not sure if I am allowed to send private messages.... didn't look like it went through ?
Dennis

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Save your money. Take the money that you would put into that huge pan and by a huge cooler.:D

Those pans look cool, but the cooler is a better investment.

DMcV

Reaction score
trackspeeder, thanks for the suggestion, however I do think that the 4r100 has a small reserve of tranny fluid.
If I could add more fluid with a deeper pan that adds to the cooling such as this one http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=19807 I think I may be killing two birds with one rock.
I'm not into making it look good, function is what I'm after. I won't pay huge bucks for fancy fins and cast alloy.
Can I have your opinion on this pan ...please?
Thanks
Dennis

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Don't let the pan size fool you. The stock pan is plenty big. The problem with the oversized pan is that they don't help cool the fluid in an overheat situation. The fluid will take longer to heat up. At the same time, it will take longer to cool down. Thats where the damage can happen.:eek:

If you want more capacity, go with a bigger cooler. Your extra fluid will actually cool, instead of sitting in a hot pan.:D

DMcV

Reaction score
trackspeeder, I hear a lot of talk about using the Ford V10 tranny cooler, would you recommend that for my truck ?
I've read that it bolts / fits right in easily ?
Thanks
Dennis

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The V10 cooler is a good upgrade from the stock cooler. Its a bolt in deal on a Super Duty. I have been using one for several years. Tranny has never been above 150 towing or not.:thumbsup:

If you are towing real heavy the 5R110 (6.0) cooler is the best deal. It will take a little work to install. Almost bolt in.:D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
FWIW, bronco graveyard has a nice b&m cooler for a good price. i don't know if it is an adequate size or not.

EDIT:

B&M Transmission Cooler 14,400 BTU

what is your opinion of this cooler trackspeeder?

B&M cooler is a good cooler by design. Stacked plate is what you want for a cooler.:thumbsup:

I would go with the V10 cooler, its much bigger. For the OBS and IDI crowd. TruCool Max is the V10 cooler without the Ford brackets.:D