460 clutch vs 6.9/7.3 clutch

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Tyr to find a diesel tin cover , those 460 ones are like gold . I had to pay 50 for mine when I finally found one. Sold it and the clutch assy for 250 to a guy that was putting an early 460 in his 90, pre 79 is balanced different you know.

I've got all that sitting in Prineville right now. In the next couple weeks I'll be pulling the 89 460 and zf5 out from my parts truck. Think it would be worth it to post that stuff up here??

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Another question, is the sleeve that the throw-out bearing slides on in the T19 and ZF the same size? I noticed in the picture that the hole in the 12" ZF PP fingers looks larger than the T19 PP:dunno.....Any input on this?, the engine is in the truck but I have to finish fighting it to the trans to get it bolted up.....It's all in the "angles and finess".:rotflmao I used the T19 11" PP with the SMF and a new CP31103A 11" clutch disc and a new Ford release bearing.;Sweet I ask this now that I have the engine and trans almost bolted together:rolleyes: - has anyone else used a T19 PP on a ZF?

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your holes look a tiny bit off from my pic, you might have a little binding going on. I centered the tin plate on the input shaft with a big aluminum ring so they would be as close to perfect as possible., compare the pics and you may see it.

Just a possibility, hate to see it smoke an input bearing.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I haven't got them close enough to line up the holes but from what I saw it should slide right in to the dowel holes and etc. They appear to be lining up great. The issue is my cherry picker is a touch to short on the reach (hitting the bumper) and the engine is about 1/2" too far forward to get my motor mount bolts in....Being 1000lbs it doesn't wiggle easy...LOL....Not a big deal, I will get it together tonight or tommorow...Patience is key and I may have to remove the bumper for that extra reach. ....I should be making some noise tommorow afternoon if all goes well.;Sweet....I can't see me hurting the input bearing with the amount of slop in the pilot bushing, it's anything but a tight fit.:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, just throwing out some observations.;Sweet I hate it when my cherry picker is too short.:eek::eek:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
No problem, see my new thread - the 6.9 is in to stay and bolted down.....It just took patience....I do my best work alone, I find I get on a roll when it's team me, myself and I.:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got all that sitting in Prineville right now. In the next couple weeks I'll be pulling the 89 460 and zf5 out from my parts truck. Think it would be worth it to post that stuff up here??

Do you still have the diesel ZF5 tin cover? I'm needing one on my typ4 modified 460 ZF5. Since the 460 tin plate is hard to find, I'd like to keep it intact if I can. Otherwise, I'll have to cut it up.

Heath

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have the 460 plate and a tin cover from a T19, I was going to see if it will fit the ZF - I haven't got around to it yet...Busy as old hell here this last week....Gotta make hay while the sun shines, you know the drill...LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance