460 clutch vs 6.9/7.3 clutch

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm just using the trans that's in the truck, 345,000KM on it and it still works well....If/when it pukes I will spec a reman diesel version from the rebuild shop....This truck won't see 5000km a year now that I have the Mazda....Mostly just here to plow snow and haul stuff when I need it....I can't wait to get the dump deck operational....It will cut the work in half....:sly

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Why would you want to? Aren't the gasser zf trannies a wide-ratio designed for much higher rpm's?

The 460 5 speed has deeper 1st 2nd and 3rd, better ratio in my book, I never liked the diesel ratios, 2nd is usually too tall to start out and 1st is too short, at least in my huge crew cab long bed, I plan on a 460 zf5 and a gear splitter to get a nice variety of ratios when loaded, the wider ratios should be fine when empty.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The back of the IDI block is its own animal in the diesel world, I think it may be shared with some IH gas engine series. Even the sae#3 an adapter to the block..

The 460 and IDI bolt pattern is not the same, so whoever said one bolted right up is wrong.
I dont know if my drilling jig guides would work in reverse, I think they will, and they can be loaned out for shipping costs.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was just going to remove the adapter plate from the IDI and use it as a template on the ZF....I'm crafty, I can figure something out using what I have in the garage...LOL

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
The back of the IDI block is its own animal in the diesel world, I think it may be shared with some IH gas engine series. Even the sae#3 an adapter to the block..

The 460 and IDI bolt pattern is not the same, so whoever said one bolted right up is wrong.
I dont know if my drilling jig guides would work in reverse, I think they will, and they can be loaned out for shipping costs.

How much different are they? Are pictures posted anywhere?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have posted them several times here. Found it again, I gotta organize my pics someday.

blue. diesel bolt holes
pink. diesel dowels
green .460 bolt holes
brown 460 dowels

red 460 starter

top two are the same gas or diesel.

Also the best way to do the overlapping holes is with a drill bit that has been ground almost flat on the end so it doesnt want to walk so much.

Attachments

• zf bell.JPG
    zf bell.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I have posted them several times here. Found it again, I gotta organize my pics someday.

blue. diesel bolt holes
pink. diesel dowels
green .460 bolt holes
brown 460 dowels

red 460 starter

top two are the same gas or diesel.

Awsome! I searched a bit without luck, but that helps understand the differences.

I like Chevys aproach on this one...yup that's our bolt pattern for V6, small8, big 8, diesel 8, and if you drive a Jaguar it uses the BOP with an adapter plate :sly

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
The 460 5 speed has deeper 1st 2nd and 3rd, better ratio in my book, I never liked the diesel ratios, 2nd is usually too tall to start out and 1st is too short, at least in my huge crew cab long bed, I plan on a 460 zf5 and a gear splitter to get a nice variety of ratios when loaded, the wider ratios should be fine when empty.

Need a gasser ZF5? I've got one in Central Oregon right now.. :D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
460 clutch

You must be registered for see images attach

IDI T-19 clutch

PSD/IDI ZF bearing on the left, my old 460 bearing in the middle and the new 460 bearing to the right....Identical - all 3.:dunno

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI and 460 T19 clutches are the same. A T19 clutch will wont interchange with a ZF5 however, the input shaft on a T19 is 1-1/16", and the ZF is 1-1/4".
For the ZF stuff, the 460 and ZF setups differ due to the dual mass flywheel, the IDI ones have a solid clutch hub, while the 460 ones have a sprung hub.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My T19 clutch and SMF came with the 6.9 - I have the 2wd T19 also......So, in theory I can use the 460 clutch with the T19 SMF flywheel....???....Both appear to be 11" clutches and both are in great shape....The 460 ZF in my truck has a 1-1/4 input, the T19 clutch that came with the 6.9 has a 1-1/16" input because my dummy 1-1/16 shaft rattles like a diner bell in the 460 clutch.....I'll try the 460 clutch on the T19 SMF tommorow and take pics.

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
snag!

So I discovered the 460 had a 12" clutch not an 11" like the T19 clutch so the 460 clutch won't fit on the T19 flyweel unless I get it re-drilled.....Or I need an 11" disc for a ZF, did they make such a beast?.....What would be my best option? I think I need a diesel pressure plate vs the 460 plate, I wonder if the diesel PP is raised on the fingers due to the depth of the flywheel in the trans case vs the 460 flywheel?:dunno....I sold the 460 this morning but I kept the clutch and flywheel as the buyer wanted it for an automatic.;Sweet.....I'm going to use this spare adapter plate to make into a template to drill the trans case.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just a thought but could the adapter plate be modified instead of the tranny to just plain open up your options to any gasser tranny?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm going to bolt the spare adapter on and see what will take place, if I can modify the adapter easily that will be the plan.;Sweet......I need a part number for an 11" clutch disc for an SMF with a 1-1/4" input and then I can re-use the T19 pressure plate. I have a 12" clutch in the 91 and it has a raised finger PP just like the T19....Obviously the first thing to happen with the 6.9 in the truck will be to check the operation of the clutch, nothing else will be hooked up until we see that is good....LOL

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Don't some of the bell housing bolts go though the adapter then though to the block? Been a while since mine was apart, I don't remember.:dunno If so might make you stay with the diesel pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance