460 clutch vs 6.9/7.3 clutch

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I put the 460 in my truck it had the same pp as you have, I think the clamp load may be different and I dont think finger style means anything since they use the same tob. ,.. I still would mod the trans not the adapter. and make dang sure you get the dowels in the right spot, that is the important thing, I know you know this but gotta say it..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
After looking at the picture of those pressure plates, you have an interesting one there. It has raised fingers, but thay don't go up at an angle , they are notched at the top and flattened out, so that one would take a rounded throwout bearing as well

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I drilled the trans case last night....I had to open the 2 top holes up to 1/2",then I bolted on the spare adapter using the top two holes and drilled through the adapter for a guide....Everything went ok from what I could see.....The dowel holes are 3/8"....I just have to to do the same to my tin spacer plate as well.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drilled the trans case last night....I had to open the 2 top holes up to 1/2",then I bolted on the spare adapter using the top two holes and drilled through the adapter for a guide....Everything went ok from what I could see.....The dowel holes are 3/8"....I just have to to do the same to my tin spacer plate as well.

Cool!;Sweet I'm going to be doing this when I get the chance to get the ZF off the back of the 460. I'm going to rob the pedals from the gasser as well.

Post up some photos of the mods you made to the ZF if you can.:hail

Heath

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesels don't use the full height tin spacer plate like the gassers do, they just use a cover that bolts on afterward. The one from the T19 setup will bolt right up the ZF.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'll take some pics when I get home and post them, it looks pretty much like Type4's pic.....He drilled the 460 holes in a diesel case, I did the opposite.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
diesel does not use the tin plate, those are very hard to find for a gasser so dont mod it or toss it.

Ok I expect some commission on this job, ... just kidding. works good dont it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You were the gunea pig, I know what that's like...LOL....The adapter plate work's A1 for a drill guide....I was going to chop the bottom of the tin plate off for a clutch cover....I will have a good 12" clutch to sell, like new and a 11" T19 clutch disc -also like new if anyone wants it cheap. Goofy is out in the shop working on the truck, I have to wait until all the kiddies are asleep.:rolleyes:.....I work quicker than the wife....:D:rotflmao

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyr to find a diesel tin cover , those 460 ones are like gold . I had to pay 50 for mine when I finally found one. Sold it and the clutch assy for 250 to a guy that was putting an early 460 in his 90, pre 79 is balanced different you know.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucky you.. Besides who would want a gashog when an idi gets 3 times the mileage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance