4" lift vs. 6" lift

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of putting a suspension lift to my truck. Don't really need one, but I want one so why struggle against the way of nature :dunno .

I've been thinking of either 4" or 6" all suspension lift and haven't made up my mind yet. Now the question, If i choose the 6" lift does it have any downsides on the driveline against the 4" lift. The front driveshaft is kind of short and the transfer case - front end angle changes quite a lot comparing to stock height, will it affect to the driveshaft joints so they will wear out much faster than with 4" lift? Or is there other downsides if i choose the higher lift (other than getting in LOL ) ?

My truck is 1993 F-250 with IDI turbo

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 inch skyjacker suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift. The body lift was used to get the turbo plumbing in there without killing my firewall with a sawsall and sledge.

The front drive shaft angle is steep with a 4 inch, and it'll be worse with a 6 inch lift. I have a photo of the front drive shaft angle in my webshot gallery. Another thing that may influence the angle is the front axle pinion location. I've done a Dana 60 swap and the pinion is a bit different than on the Dana 44HD it replaced.

Heath

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Heath!

That's the kind of input i was hoping to get from here.

Front driveshaft angle looks pretty steep even with the 4" lift that you have, so i'll think i will settle with that. Have you had any problems with the joints? maybe they need to be replaced more often? I was also looking to buy a skyjacker's lift, because in their class II kit the drop down bracket for ifs axle seems to be the most robust looking compared to other manufacturers and there's no need to weld anything.

How about that 2" body lift. Did you had to make some lengthening to parts when you put the lift on. Maybe this would be the better way to get the clearance for the 3" downpipe kit that sits in the garage waiting to be installed than banging the firewall with hammer.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not had trouble with the U-joints..........yet. But, as with any lift and with the bigger tires, they will not last as long as they would without these changes. But, I just keep an eye on them regularly.

I agree with the one piece Skyjacker Class II bracket. It is much sturdier and I would have used that kit if I didn't have the Dana 60.

The body lift is a home made deal. Just cut some 3 inch soild bar stock very carefully on a lathe into two inch section and drilled out the centers. Got longer grade 8 bolts at a local supplier. A kit you can buy will likely cost more, but it will save time. With just going two inches, did not have to change a thing for clearence/length issues.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Heath. The Moose truck has a 4 and 2 combo as well. Works and looks great. If you like big tires, it gets you all you need. A 6 inch really starts to strain things.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I had a 6 inch on my 89 before I put the Rockwells under it and it was fine. Towed what ever I wanted hauled whatever I wanted. It had a Dana 60 and a 10.25 ford never broke a u joint or had driveshaft viberations. Had to go to 12 inch springs tho when the Rockwells went under.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RKOCH, You should really do an article on the Rockwell conversion on these trucks. It would nice to know the in/out's of it, places to get parts, and the plus/minus of having those beefy axles under your rig.

Heath

RedTruck

Reaction score
RKOCH, You should really do an article on the Rockwell conversion on these trucks. It would nice to know the in/out's of it, places to get parts, and the plus/minus of having those beefy axles under your rig.

Heath

With lots and lots of pictures. You've got a hell of a rig. I'd be nice to see some pictures and know some of the trials and tribulations you've gone through to get where you're at.

Sorry...don't mean to hijack this thread.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a shackle reversal from these guys, and also a shackle flip for the rear.
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/

Their stuff is really well made.
I installed a 3" shackle reversal with 4" springs in front.
And a shackle flip with 6 inch springs and no lift blocks in back.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm running a little overloaded. but you get the idea.
Those are 42"s with a lot of fender work.
But you can run 37"s with only a 4 " lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8etkL1ud8Q

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got a really bad ass looking truck there :love: . Just looked your youtube vids and you seem to have your truck in a little more harder use than i have ;Sweet . Those shackle reverse things looks very good, but you have solid front axle and i have ifs so i think that i have to get a kit that includes a drop down brackets for the i-Beam axles otherwise i might not be able to get the wheels aligned after changes.

One question regarding the lift
If i get that 4" lift before the shocks arrives, will i be able to drive with a lift and a stock shock for a while or do the shocks have to be changed also at the same time? I will change them to dual setup, but might be that the suspension lift kit arrives first.

I ordered a Performance Accessories 2" body lift from Summit and noticed today that it is in the customs at the moment. Hopefully i can get it out of there this week and have the time to install it at weekend. Can't wait to see what it will look like after lift ;p . Any best way hints installing the body lift?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing with 6" lift, other than the driveline angles, you're also near the extension limit of the driveshafts, so if you plan on doing some flexing you may wanna look into new longer shafts. 4" should be fine tho, in both departments.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might get away with stock shocks for a few days with a 4 inch lift. The only issue is that you probably won't have any down travel of the suspension with the stock shock.

On the body mount issue, It depends on how lucky you are.
If you are lucky, the body mount bolts and hardware are not corroded and you can get them off.
But if you are unlucky, like most everyone i know, You will probably have to torch the bolts off. Cut the metal hardware and replace with new ones. On top of that the stock bushings will probably be destroyed in the process.
So you will probably need to get those things aswell as the body lift.
You can get these here.
http://http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-33101_pick_up_body_mount_hardware_kit.htm
I am not lucky, Which is the main reason I haven't gone with the body lift route.

Good luck with your truck.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, i'll be reasonable for once with the lift and i have already settled to get that 4" Skyjacker lift...

edit:
I got this body lift kit Click link

I don't exactly know what kind hardware kit that will have, but i will see when i get it from the customs. What i have looked beneath the truck there isn't much corrosion if i dare to say not at all, but i have expect the worse there might be some surprises

Last edited:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Go with the 4 inch and get a ladder for the ladies.....

Redstang, where are you from in Panama?