2wd to 4x4 on a f350 dually extended cab

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking for another truck for awhile and am having a terrible time finding exactly what I want. Found a 2wd extended cab with dual rear wheels but I really want a 4x4. Did a search and didn't seem to find anyone who has done this. Is it even worth it? Is the cab tunnel different between 2x4 and a 4x4? Do I need a donor to get all the little parts or can I get a transfer case and the Dana 60 with the right ratio and plug and chug. I'm making it sound simple but I have no idea. That would just make it a perfect truck for me. Too much work, I just don't know. Looking for advice and maybe someone who tried it before and has a good story. Thanks, Doug

Last edited:

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's going to be a little weird getting driveshafts right if you dont find an ex-cab, but find a truck with a d60 and your trans of choice. Need the trans, tcase, all linkages for tcase, and the drive shafts. Pretty much everything but the engine and rear axle.

Grab an RSK while you're at it. Nice ride if you aren't gonna wheel it!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this is a common question here oddly enough.

You will need;

a front axle of your choice and all the brackets and hardware and matching gear set to your rear.

A 4wd transmission of your choice and T case that is unless you can locate a divorced NP 205 tcase for example and retain your 2wd trans, then you need fab mounts and drive shafts. If you have a 4wd transmission and tcase you can then utilize stock drive shafts nothing custom.

That's a basic list but don't think it's all inclusive however it is really just super dumbed down.

Good luck do some advanced searches for D60 swaps and so forth.

The newest deal is using a 05 coil sprung front and matching rear diff...this makes it easy but you still need the diff, the radius arms, the brackets etc...

Good luck

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a axle from a cab and chassis pickup if you want to run your dually wheels up front. Or a axle off a single rear wheel pickup and then round up the 4x4 dually type front hubs and rotors and convert it over.

You will have to piece it together in some form or fashion, since they never did make a dually 4x4 pickup till 1999 or something like that. So you will not find a donor unless you find one already converted.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Don't forget springs, spring mounts, shock mounts, sway bar mounts (if used). The front section of the frame needs to be boxed. It's not a job for the average guy. It is definitely easier with a donor sitting side by side for measurements and so on. I have seen good threads about it, cant remember were.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, this seems like a lot more work than I thought. A donor truck would definitely make life monumentally easier. Sadly, I went back on Craigslist this morning and the listing was gone. I think it just expired because it had been listed for two months. Must be a sign. Soooo, the quest goes on. Still looking for a rust free extended cab long bed. The duals really looked nice. Not sure how practical is it, but there was definitely a cool factor there. Was hoping to find something and have it legal by the IDI weekend, but it's looking less and less likely. Thanks for all the valuable information and your generosity in sharing it. I'm not done yet. Thanks again, Doug