2wd to 4wd

timzingo

Reaction score
Ive owned a 1985 ford f350 2wd c6 dually and recently aquired a complete 1985 f250 4 speed 4x4. i am going to convert the dually to 4 speed and 4wd, does anyone have experience doing this?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?64522-87-Crew-Cab-Project
"normally" I won't spoonfeed those who won't use the search feature. but I'll throw you this tidbit to help you understand the depth of knowledge we have here.
do your homework. ask many intelligent questions and you will find many running to help.
asking for help without research ahead of time, you will find people less than willing to respond.

timzingo

Reaction score
Thank you I guess. Im not looking for how to do it. I was just posing a question for some info from others.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you I guess. Im not looking for how to do it. I was just posing a question for some info from others.
Your post is rather hard to read in that if you are posing a question for some info from others, you may want to illicit a response by asking a specific question not a general question such as does anyone have experience doing this...

Yes many actually have experience doing it, but what specifically are you wanting for info? As I said to begin with, there is TONS of info here on said conversions so reading through some of those may offer you answers, or may help you formulate your question more effectively.

BTW Welcome to OB,

Look at FAQ and the TECH section too....tons of good info there.

Al

timzingo

Reaction score
Thank you. It was definately a vague question. Im just trying to find out where people found shortcuts or easier ways to do things and whatnot. And I read a few articles but most of them said font even consider doing it so I thought id pose my own question.

Tim

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is usually much easier to buy a 4x than make a 4x however it CAN be done, given time, tools and $$$ maybe not in that order!

Your 4x front end won't be a direct bolt in to the 2wd truck, it's easier to get a Dana 60 dually front diff and convert to solid axle. then it's just swap in trans/tcase drive shafts, pedal assemblies cross members oh did I mention this requires time tools and $$$$...both trucks off the road for some time...ya...simpler to buy a 4x

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive owned a 1985 ford f350 2wd c6 dually and recently aquired a complete 1985 f250 4 speed 4x4. i am going to convert the dually to 4 speed and 4wd, does anyone have experience doing this?

It has been done, but it's not a straight bolt-in like the f150 conversion is. You have to drill some holes and swap the brackets on the front of the frame horns to give a place for the front shackles to mount. So you can drill out the rivets on the donor 4x4 and bolt the brackets into your truck, measure and drill any holes needed for the rear spring mount, drill the rivets out of the donor and bolt the rear spring mount in place, take off your 2wd coil spring stuff, and mount the center pivot brackets in place.

If you want dually wheels for the front, you will have to get some adapters/rotors from a cab and chassis truck that was 4wd. They are around, and come up on ebay once in awhile. There is also a company that makes the adapters, but they are expensive.