2003 cummins $1500

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No joke I just bought it! Gota help the guy fix his boat though. Anyway, yall have helped me a ton in the past with my 94 idi (which I still have by the way) so I thought id get some advise on this 24 valve. It has 230,000 roughly and has some blow by issues aparrently. I drove it today and it really dogs at about 2500r's. I know little about the idi and absolutely nothing about the cummins so anybody got suggestions on what the issue might be? The exhaust pipe is bent at the tip and is pretty restricted, so was thinking maybe that was part of it. :dunno Im guessing rings are going to be the culprit, which I will be replacing anyway when doing the rebuild. The turbo seems to be spooling and has no chatter so Im hoping thats not an issue. Injectors were replaced at 100,000 so probly due. Picking it up next week so I have not performed compression or blow by test, not sure of fuel pressure at current time. Havent been on here a while, good to be back, sorry for posting cummins ?s here but over on the cummins thread the crickets were chirping!LOL any suggestions appreciated.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no doubt, Its a quad cab lariat with all bells and whistles, leather seats. belonged to a logger and he got his moneys worth. I know him well and he knows hes giving it away. Im extremely grateful for his generosity, and will bend over backwards to help his family with anything.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. The 24 valve has known issues with the lift pump, which if you ignore it long enough will kill the expensive Bosch VP44 pump that's on it. I bet if it's doggy it's low on fuel pressure. I haven't owned or worked on a Cummins so I don't know if blowby is typical with them as it is with an IDI at that many miles, but generally if the blowby is steady it would indicate normal or at least even wear. Motor could be worn smooth out...but I doubt it. Good luck with it. Some of these guys know Cummins too especially Big Rig Tech and probably Towcat. Forgive me if I'm leaving anyone else out. Hopefully someone will be here to help soon.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump has been replaced at least once that I know of, (not saying that is wasnt to little too late) hope not. I think the motor is pretty tired, but its leaking out of rear main so im gonna tear it down and rebuild anyway. For the price I got it for I can afford to rebuild. (just hope most other components arent to beat/ turbo, ip, valves, etc.)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Depends. What body style of truck is it? 2003.5 was common rail. 2003 on down I think is the VP44'ed 24 valver. Pop the hood and look to see if its got an injection pump looking thing on the drivers side of the block. If so, VP44, if not, common rail.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think late 2003 started the common rail with the "600 signature series" I don't think they had the same issues with the IP. I think the CP3 is solid.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that all 2003s were common rail. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the motor switched along with the body style.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue with the pump was just with the VP44, the lift pump dodge used was designed to push fuel from the tank to the pump. they had it mounted on the motor pulling fuel from the tank causing them to wear out, the drop of fuel pressure caused the IP to fail prematurely.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue with the pump was just with the VP44, the lift pump dodge used was designed to push fuel from the tank to the pump. they had it mounted on the motor pulling fuel from the tank causing them to wear out, the drop of fuel pressure caused the IP to fail prematurely.

What he said

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that all 2003s were common rail. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the motor switched along with the body style.

Thats kinda the impression I got, but then again :dunno I know a little about alot, but alot about little. Ill definately check it out when I pick it up next week. Read somewhere last night that duromax used the cp3 without a lift pump, (at least some years) and the cp3 on a cummins will throw a code before going **** up. Kinda hope its common rail now. Anyone know what turbo is standard on the 2003 cummins?
Thanks for the help guys, just wanna know what im getting in to. (these cummins parts must be made of gold)

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Just over 200k and you're talking about a rebuild??? ***? That engine is barely getting broken in let alone worn out. My dads '01 has just a hair under 400k rather hard towing miles and it's just barely starting to show signs of weakness.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I get nervous in a hurry anytime I trade something for my services...

I do electrical work on the side. One time this guy at work offered to give me a "nice" camper shell in exchange for running power to a 240 volt dryer.

I show up on a saturday to do the work... I bring all the tools and materials, I pay for everything. It's my own fault, but I should have looked at the shell before doing the electrical work. 4 hours and $100 in material later...

The attached picture is a dramatization, but you get where I'm going with this. LOL

Well, the shell in this picture was nicer than the one this guy offered me..

:D

Attachments

• 4082043951_e026314174_o.jpg
    4082043951_e026314174_o.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online