1999 suburban problems

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my girlfriends family has a 1999 chevy 2500 burb 6.5 turbo, 39,000 approx. miles. They recently went to indiana from northern Kentucky. on the way there the truck started to bog down on the highway. On the way back, it quit on them, and it took a couple seconds to start it back up. since then it has done it twice and it takes longer to restart it with the most recently time taking 2 minutes. what could the problem(s) be?:confused:

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a PMD to me but before you check that check to see if the lift pump is pumping consistently. the gm lift pump really sux, it will even play tricks on you by pumping and then quite after it gets warm then start pumping again. or it might pump but not enough thus you ip then starves and you gotta buy a new IP plus the 80buck lift pump. did i mention i hate the gm lift pump?
it really does sound like the PMD but since its not your money and if you get this thing runnin topnotch girls dad a love ya i would really push him to buy a holley pump to replace the lift pump while your checkin out the PMD. after you get the PMD off you can take off the cover and gently tighten the two nuts on each of the resistors. that usually cures the problem if its not to late in the game. then you need to do a pmd remount and get that thing off the hot IP and into some cold breeze. my favorite place is on the drivers side inner fender. then i wire up a 12v computer fan to keep air flowing over the cooling fins when the vehicle is idling(people dont really do this but i think it helps). your gonna have to buy the cooling fins from kieth diesel.
your problem is common with the 6.5td. the weak link for that motor is the cheap lift pump and the pmd cooking itself. fix that and popsinlaw a luv ya

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
99 with 39 rounds??? wow......first things first replace the fuel filter. and if ya can swing it, like crank says......lift pump, with that low of mileage I can see the fuel just eatin away at it........

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is. i am not a women beater but before she got another shot i slammed her head into the wall, not meaning to do so but it was reaction

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Is any of this relevant to a 95 6.5 non turdo in a 30 series van chassis? It seems to have random issues with quitting.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is any of this relevant to a 95 6.5 non turdo in a 30 series van chassis? It seems to have random issues with quitting.

what, getin beat up by a girl? just kiddinLOL
yes, i do believe the previouse post would aply to you as well.