1996 6.5 TD injector pump timing

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
ok! got mitchell's on demand and a tech 2 scan tool, mitchell says timing should be a 3.5 with the scanner in time injector mode, I got it there after a whole bunch of tries and the truck is very lazy, it ran a whole lot better when it was up around 6.5 an even a little higher, the desired timing an the actual timing is matched when the scan tool is in off timing mode from 3.5 upwards to about 8.5, any higher and they don't match any more. does any body have any experience with this procedure? Mitchel's was wrong with the direction to turn the pump so I'm doubting the mark it says the timing needs to be! the truck otherwise runs good and the smoking cleared up.......anyone?:dunno

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Call Heath Diesel or Kennedy Diesel since this is all they mess with. The Diesel Page is a good source for the GMs too.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
I have a diesel page membership, I'll mosey over there and do a little reading, forgot about that! thanks.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
prolly should update this, figured it out myself with the help of Mitchell's on demand and a tech2 scanner, put it where it was suppose to be and she ran like poop poo! then found out it had no reverse! hell, I'm into it this far... ripped out the tranny, cut off the soot trap in the process and it was plugged full of soot! imagine that! anyway took the trans apart and it looked like brand new inside till I got to the rear band......just starting to get to the metal, so a seal kit and a new rear band, put it back in and started her up.....open exhaust! took off down the road and she ran like a ***** ape! and even backed up! so the injector timing was correct after all!! so how many clam's I got into it now?? let's say I gotta go fishin........:dunno