1994 7.3 idi turbo bad mpg about 7-10

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well checking back in again. Checked all brakes and there is no excess drag.

How could a bad lift pump cause poor fuel mileage?

Has anyone here ever rebuilt one of these injection pumps before? What actually causes it to use so much fuel?

I am looking to rebuild my injection pump by myself, Have done others before. Have the manual for tear down and rebuild. A fellow guy I work with has rebuilt multiple of these pumps before and knows how to do so with no calibration bench. Also knows how to tweak all the settings for more fuel/power

Thanks again

I don't know much about the pump, but keep hearing you need the expensive machine to calibrate them properly. So this might get interesting.

I have 140,000+ miles on my original pump and injectors, and keep hearing it should be rebuilt, but it runs too good, I am not messing with it. But I guess I will have to eventually.

19947.3idigogreen

Reaction score
Ya I have heard from multiple guys that have rebuilt these pumps that there very easy compared to other pumps. For calibrating you just need to measure or adjust it to exactly same as before. Also to have ur pump calibrated if you want by a good diesel shop it is around $50-80. Lot cheaper then buying a rebuilt pump

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ya I have heard from multiple guys that have rebuilt these pumps that there very easy compared to other pumps. For calibrating you just need to measure or adjust it to exactly same as before. Also to have ur pump calibrated if you want by a good diesel shop it is around $50-80. Lot cheaper then buying a rebuilt pump

Hahahahaha
I'll let someone else take this one....
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

19947.3idigogreen

Reaction score
This information is coming from a guy that is certified to rebuild these pumps. And the price for calibrating is a quote I got from to local shops

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I just don't see the calibration being that cheap.
Awhile back, Thompson diesel quoted me over $100 for a flow test on a db-2 pump.

Maybe a flow test only.

Maybe when Mel gets a chance, he can shed some light here.

19947.3idigogreen

Reaction score
These are just little small town shops. I was surprise it was so cheap to. Plus this is with me doing the adjustments with a Lil help from them. Basically paying for using the bench and a Lil help. I wish the shop I worked for still had a bench

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hahahahaha
I'll let someone else take this one....
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow is this ever true. Rebuilding these pumps is more than replacing parts and claibrating the pump. Some of the work requires you to assemble the pump under the test fluid so no dirt gets trapped in the pump. That can't be easy at all. then running your hopefully clean pump on a claibration test bench can ruin the bench. they don't like dirt. Now add the cost of the test bench at $75,000.00 for a good used one and you see where this is headed. At 140,000 on the pump and injecters you're due for a rebuilt pump and injecters no matter how wel it runs. It will need to be properly timed too for the new stuff to run correctly. Sorry but you really can't rebuild these pumps as easy as someone is telling you. Go to ebay and look up the stanadyne db2 pump seal and gasket kit. There are nearly 100 gaskets and seals in the kit. Still want to talk rebuilding at home. I'm sorry but I can't help you with the pump rebuild. I just have never really wanted to get into them that deep and for very good reasons.
Shitstorm ahead....:eek::rotflmao Thats funny as hell right there.

19947.3idigogreen

Reaction score
I have rebuilt multiple injection pumps before like Perkins ( Delphi) Mitsubishi, stanadyne. Ect......it's really not that hard. Just have to be super clean and precise. Im use to that, I work for CAT, which is very precise on everything being clean and contamination control.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to be an interesting topic to follow.

Please make sure you take tons and tons of photos and post them here as a how too for shitz n gigglz...

Just saying would be nice to see it all, not that it's something I'd do and I can use a mic pretty good.

JM2CW

Oh and that shitstorm...epic post! Winner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online