1993 f350 ambulance box removal

dubreg

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted to remove the box from an ambulance and replace it with a flat bed? I would love some info on this! any help is greatly appreciated!!!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally speculating, but I'd assume that box would be pretty darn heavy. May need a 2 post lift, and a plan on what to do with it/how to move it afterward.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
i agree. if you desire to save the box at all a 2 post lift would be needed. If you dont give a damn, yank it off with a tractor, if you have a front loader. Thats how i did my bed even though i have a 9,000lbs 2 post lift in the garage. I then backed out of the garage with the front loader and put the bed on stands, in the drive. I was able to do that without damaging anything.

I have moderately frightening ideas as to how to successfully get that off, if you dont mind damaging the box, without heavy machinery or a lift, but ill save that crazyness for a need to know basis. Hopefully you have the tools. Another very simple idea.

Again toolstoolstools

...would be to cut it up piece by piece with a large acetalean (i dont think i spelled that right...lol) torch with a good cutting bit. cut the roof free, loose it, cut the tops of the sides off, then thebottoms, pull the pan it shouldnt be to heavy, in pieces :sly

if you dont have these tools, like i said i can suggest a couple "shade tree mechanic" tips that might be per-sieved as nutty but will get the job done hahah

good luck

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember, it is more than just a box like a moving truck would have. There is electrical, various "plumbing" for medical air, O2, and medical vacuum inside the box, and some plumbed into the chassis. I don't think is can be simply "yanked off" the frame. It is going to take some surgery to separate the two. Just because some/all the equipment has been removed doesn't me the "behind the scenes" support isn't still there.

One example, there is normally an inverter/charger on-board. This is normally in one of the outside lower compartments, and runs all the equipment on-board via a 120V AC "Land Line", which also charges the starting batteries, and may even have an AC tie-in to the block heater..... this is just one thing I can think of. Some also have air-ride on the back, and I believe the compressor is housed "in the box".....

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
thats some good info snicklas!

i wouldn't mind getting my hands on the "stock" air ride compressor and that ac inverter if you'd be willing to get rid of them dubreg

if it were me i would detach all the wiring you will need after the conversion from the box, pull it all back under the cab, cut off anything remaining that will not be needed.

it might be easier just to get a full wiring harness for a "normal" truck if applicable to the old "bus" especially if you dont liek wiring or have a hard time reading wiring diagrams.

dubreg

Reaction score
I have really looked at it today and it looks damn daunting!!!

thats some good info snicklas!

I have really looked at it today and it looks damn daunting!!! I dont think I am going to dirty my hands with this one!!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Example of risky shade tree methods...

Beer + Plasma cutter + chains + another truck to pull.

Totally not suggested or endorsed in any way!

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Example of risky shade tree methods...

Beer + Plasma cutter + chains + another truck to pull.

Totally not suggested or endorsed in any way!

hey dont steel my ideas ^^^ -cuss hahaha just kidding Can30diesel, i was gonna say, pull bed bolts, remove wiring, cut off anything in front of the rear wheels, chain it to a BIG tree, and.....GOO LOL OO @:rotflmao

pwrfool

Reaction score
Last edited:

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Box is worth money to the expo crowd--don't torch it off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online