1991 F250 Diesel fuel filter housing and fuel heater question

noddaz

Reaction score
Once again my F250 needs some help. Looks like my fuel heater has started to leak on the fuel filter housing. Is there an easy fix besides replacing the whole filter housing?

Thanks...

Scott

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably where the heater plugs in, there is an O'ring there inside.

noddaz

Reaction score
on closer inspection...

Probably where the heater plugs in, there is an O'ring there inside.

The fuel is actually coming up through the center of the heather plug, like it is being forced past the connector pin.

Hmmm. Do I try the o-ring trick or do I just replace the heater...? Hmmm

Scott

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing when I bought it. Got the whole heater from Ford. It has been 4-5 years so I don't remember the cost (CRS kicking in again :dunno). If I were to do it again I would probably do as riotwarrior said. I know it wasn't a very cheap part, I'm not sure how effective the heater really is, and if I got rid of the heater there is no chance of it leaking again :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remove the heater and plug the hole. A member posted the heater design and what was found is this. For the heater to work correctly as designed we have to turn on the ignition key but engine off for 5 minutes so it can heat up the fuel. Ford never mentioned thi little fact. So does our heater work.. nope. Some like having the heater but many just remove it. Some drill and tap the hole for a pipe plug. Others use JB weld and other use rtv to plug the hole. International does sell the o rings for around $2.500. The part nuber in in the Parts Bin too.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have repaired 2 IDI trucks with this trouble. 1/2" pipe thread tap and a pipe plug for the hole. Remove the heater, never been missed. I've been using the first truck about 3 years since this repair.