1991 F-Superduty Fuel Sending unit

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

It's been about 7 years since ive had an IDI, and this weekend I picked up another. Its a 1991 F-Superduty (1.5 ton) 7.3 with 5 speed and extended frame for an 11ft bed.

There is no bed on it, I bought it for my service body to sit on it..

This truck has a 19 gallon tank in the center of the truck behind the rear axle and a missing 17-19 gallon tank in front of the axle on the drivers side. The lines are there but it was rusted out.

The sending unit was leaking, missing the short tube on the suction tube and plug was very corroded so I thought I would just replace the sender but I cannot find it anywhere. You can buy both tanks all day but nobody seems to offer the sender, NAPA, Rock Auto, Auto Zone, ETC...

Any Ideas?

Thanks
-Lance

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the truck guys on here have intell on where to buy senders. I'm sure one of them will chime in. With the IDI vans, the only place to find them is on ebay for N.O.S. Maybe you can find the truck IDI senders on ebay as well.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a suggestion if you have the room on the frame(which you do)
out there in this world, there's an Isuzu NPR missing is tank and brackets.
gets rid of many issues except the fueling bill. i retained my oem tanks and added the Isuzu tank (35 gal) for a total of 69 gal of fuel capacity. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank yall,

I actually wont have much room, Im mounting a service bed and crane on the truck.

One thing I have found with this tank is it doesn't have a lock ring, its a plastic tank with a screw on cap. I have found other posts online with the f-450's from 90's to 96 ish with the same issue. The frames are narrower and the senders are not the same as a 1 ton pickup. I found an o ring to replace the damaged sender seal so really I just need to find a rheostat to replace this one with maybe

Any thoughts?

-Lance

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you search here about the sending units, some have talked about a company you can mail it to, they will repair it, you pay them, then they send it back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828