1991 E350 towing capacity

Fitzy

Reaction score
Anyone know the towing capacity on a 1991 E350 7.3 idi, 3:55 rear, E4od trans. GVWR is 9500. Need to tow a 10,000 lb load . Can this van handle it ?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the towing capacity on a 1991 E350 7.3 idi, 3:55 rear, E4od trans. GVWR is 9500. Need to tow a 10,000 lb load . Can this van handle it ?

Door tag should tell ya what CGVWR is..
That shluld be easy enough to figure out then

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score

My 1993 & 1994 E350 7.3 IDI N/A diesels are factory rated to tow 9500 lbs. 3:55 and E4OD.

I've recently been towing 3000 - 5000lb trailers and the vans have been struggling. This was at an elevation of 6000 - 7000ft above sea level without a turbo. On moderate hills I'd be down to 35mph and blowing constant black smoke, even with the overdrive off. Engine temps got hotter than I'd ever seen them. Outside air temps were around 85-90f and I had the air conditioning off. a tune up might help me, but not by much.

If you don't have a turbo, and good gages to watch your egt and trans temps, I wouldn't try it.

Last edited:

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Door tag only shows GVWR of 9500. I think CGVWR is listed on later models.. My is a 1991.

What are the elevation changes where you are towing and what elevation are you at? How far do you have to go? When was the IP/injectors last replaces? I towed about 5000 with my '88 e250 without any issues. It wasn't fast, but i had no issues cruising at 65mph through rolling hills. I was not at a high elevation. Mine also has 3.54 gears.

With that being said, 10,000lbs would be at limits of the N/A 7.3. So if you do tow it you would need to think about a few things:
1. Trailer brakes and a brake controller are a must.
2. A WD/Anti-sway system should be used.
3. Guages should be uses. EGT, trans and coolant temp.
4. Flush all fluids. Trans, coolant, brakes
5. Towing heavy with the e4od can be done, but it needs a big cooler. I put one from a 6.0L on mine with a thermostat block to prevent over cooling in the winter.

Also, be realistic with what the performance will be. The N/A 7.3 is not like todays powerhouae diesels. You will be very slow accelerating up to speed and will be very slow up the hills.

In the right situation, i would probably try it with mine but i have guages, brake controller, trans cooler, all maintinance ip to date etc etc.

Fitzy

Reaction score
Starting out in Beaumont TX, elevation 32' ending at Lampasas TX, elevation, 1215' . Trip is about 325 miles with some rolling hills. I do have an EGT gauge, heavy duty front and rear swaybars, new shocks, new water pump, radiator, 10,000# receiver hitch, new brakes, trailer brakes with controller. Trans cooler sounds like a good idea; temperatures get hot in Texas this time of year, 90-102 !! Van has 160,000 original miles and runs great. I have towed a boat weighing 3800# with no problems. Actual weight I need to tow is 9300#. Thanks for the input, Fitzy

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you planned out your route? There are no massive hills but some that will tax the van significantly. I would probably take I-10 to 290 to 183 and plan for a long trip but I would probably not use the van to haul that much, that is asking a lot from it. I would also be wary of the DPS and looking heavy.

Fitzy

Reaction score
That's the same route I planed. I forgot about the DPS, they can make life real interesting !! The more I think about it , I may try to borrow my friends 2009 Dodge dully. I like the van too much and would hate to ruin it by not taking people's advice. Thanks again for the good advice.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the same route I planed. I forgot about the DPS, they can make life real interesting !! The more I think about it , I may try to borrow my friends 2009 Dodge dully. I like the van too much and would hate to ruin it by not taking people's advice. Thanks again for the good advice.

If you do use the van i would say a trans temp gauge and cooler are a must. I wouldn't do it without a WD/ Anti-sway setup either.

When you say the van has 160,000 original miles, does that mean the IP and injectors are original? If so i would definitely replace them prior. Life of them is usually about 100-125k. At 160k it is a good possibly you will be down on power.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything mentioned about tires. 10 ply Erange only for that kind of load. in my opinion your van is quite capable if its healthy, you will probably spend a lot of time with your OD off lit up , but remember that speed limits used to be 55mph and it is a safe speed. keeping your speed down will not run as hot, load will be more stable on uneven road, tires will not heat up as much , and you won't use as much fuel.

my 2003 E350 extended clubwagon hauls this kind of weight and more on a regular basis and I have no rear sway bar or equalizer hitch. I just keep my speed down and remember there is a pile of weight behind me.
be carefull of your tongue weight and you should be fine, it will just feel a little different than the 3800lbs you are used to. I have more power than a 7.3 idi, but I don't use it all because I don't need it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle