1990 Ford Bronco 4BT swap

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the sensor you mention is the water temp sensor.

I don't yet know how the Bronco HVAC controls are actuated. If they're run by a cable, I can eliminate all of the vacuum lines under the hood. I suspect, however, they're vacuum actuated. More investigation necessary.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks with work and such.

I did verify that the sensor pictured behind the PS reservoir is, in fact, the oil pressure sender.

I'm getting antsy to get working on this Bronco some more. I should get some time this weekend. More to come soon.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the sensor you mention is the water temp sensor.

I don't yet know how the Bronco HVAC controls are actuated. If they're run by a cable, I can eliminate all of the vacuum lines under the hood. I suspect, however, they're vacuum actuated. More investigation necessary.
FWIW, I'm about 90% certain that the HVAC controls are vacuum-actuated. The only '80-'97 truck with factory air conditioning I've seen that didn't have vacuum-actuated HVAC controls were the '87 trucks, that had a HVAC panel that looks like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

They went back to the vacuum-actuated HVAC controls in 1988 for reasons unknown to me.

With that having been said, if you're going to hydroboost, you could do an electric vacuum pump for the HVAC and cruise control.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the HVAC controls in my last post. I traced the vacuum line from the pump over to the passenger side of the engine bay where it split and dove into the heater core. I'm virtually certain this means they are vacuum-actuated.

I saw a HVAC control panel like that in a Ford years ago... it may have been in a JY somewhere. I didn't realize it meant the truck had an cable-actuated system. Unfortunately, this Bronco has the standard bricknose HVAC control panel.

One of the (many) advantages of this 4BT is that the PS pump is actually mounted behind the vacuum pump. I'll still have the vac pump; I was just thinking of aesthetics in the engine bay.

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
that hvac panel that warden posted looks just like the one in my ranger...

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
oh, and as far as leaks go. I meant to tell you about the serious oil slobbering mine was doing from the valve covers.
I had it all sealed up tight and pretty with no leaks, then after I had her on the road for a few days I decided to adjust the valves.

I didn't realize how important it was to have the valve cover gasket and mating surface completely oil free for a good seal. They were all leaking crazy bad till I took them off, cleaned the surfaces, and re-installed. It seems like once you get one good heat and cool cycle on the motor after a clean install, they seal up nice again.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a month and a half without any real forward progress, I finally made time last night to do this:

The way the front motor mounts are designed, the engine kept getting hung up on them. After struggling for a couple of minutes I realized they needed to come off. Once I pulled them out of the way, it was pretty simple.

After I got the clutch assembly and flywheel off, this is what I saw:

Assuming that the rear main seal needed to be replaced, I pulled the adapter plate off:

And here's a closer look:

It appears that this plug is leaking. Is this basically just a freeze plug that seals the oiled area of the block? I've got a Cummins service manual that covers complete tear down and rebuild, but I can't find a reference to removing and reinstalling this plug. Any pointers?

EDIT: I got the 4BT mounted on the engine stand:

And here is the engine bay now:

Lots of work to do in there...

As far as the engine is concerned, I just plan on doing a reseal and upgrading the turbo to a HX30W, so (hopefully) the engine will be done shortly.

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:eek:

That thing is insane! I wasn't aware a 700 HP 4BT even existed. Nice work done by that team.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a Holset HX30W for this li'l 4 banger. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

I've spent some time sorting through the mess of wires Ford installed in this thing. Sweet Lord, there is a lot of copper that is getting/soon will be pulled out! I should get some time this weekend to do some more work and take some pics.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took some time yesterday to start sorting through the mess of wiring that Ford installed in this Bronco. Some of the plugs that were mounted on the drivers side inner fender already had some wiring cut but were still there. There was an EEC (Engine Electronic Control) relay that I removed; rewiring the fuel pump relay to be energized directly from the ignition switch rather than through the EEC relay. There was a STO (self-test output) plug that is gone. I also removed the HEGO (heated exhaust gas oxygen) and MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensors. There's plenty more to remove, I just ran out of time. It doesn't look like it, but I've got about seven hours into this.

Another issue: the previous owners. I think we've all been guilty of this (I know I've done it): wiring in something; a trailer brake controller, a relay, whatever, and not doing a very good job routing the wires. This leads to individual uncovered wires wires running every which way. It looks tacky. There are splices that have been made into three and even four wires that run only a few feet. :mad: I am NOT guilty of that particular sin, I have always been **** about the amount of splicing I make. But when you are going through a vehicle that has probably had at least five owners, you're going to find some hokey stuff. (BTW, the wire nuts are temporary.)

One of the problems with the method I'm using is the source of information: the Haynes manual's wiring diagrams I'm using are NOT intuitive, to say the least. There's ten pages of wiring diagrams for the 1990-91 F-Series and Broncos. The issue for me is when I follow the line for a particular wire to an individual component. It will refer to the component as (for example) 'A/C clutch resistor diode.' But the diagram doesn't give any reference to where the individual component is broken down in further detail on another page. This leads to a LOT of flipping around to find the individual component somewhere in the diagrams. Also: there's no reference to where the component is physically located on the Bronco. This is not a big deal; the engine compartment isn't very big. But add it all up and it's a time-consuming process.

The good thing is, I'm learning. I can now look at the wiring diagrams with a little familiarity; they're slightly easier to follow. A good move that Haynes made: the relays are shown in detail. This allows me to identify what wire is doing what, and is the reason I removed the EEC relay. It was energizing a whole bunch of engine control crap that is no longer needed. Also, I have realized an engine bay fuse block is necessary to eliminate the fusible links that Ford installed on the starter relay. Fusible links are old school tech. From what I read, no vehicles manufactured since the early 90s have had fusible links, they all have fuse blocks.

Another wrinkle: there is what's referred to in the wiring diagrams as a 22,000 ohm ignition suppression resistor in the tach circuit. Actually getting my hands on it revealed that it is labeled as an 1800 ohm resistor rated at a 1/2 Watt. (Surprisingly, it is about six inches long.) But it is ALSO labeled as 22K 1/2 Watt with no ohmic value. ***? Why the discrepancy? The wiring diagrams appear to show one in gas AND diesel applications. I believe the reason it's there in a gasoline application is because the coil creates magnetic waves that can interfere with tach operation. As we all know, in a diesel application there is no expanding and collapsing magnetic field. Is this resistor necessary for a diesel?

As you can see, there is some copper that isn't necessary now that the 5.0 is gone. This small pile will get bigger.

My plan is to have a clean engine bay; the few wires that are present will be neatly wrapped in cloth tape and wiring loom. It won't be show quality but it will look nice.

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
This is absolutely time well spent. 8,000 miles from now when you are troubleshooting some strange issue that may be electrical its so very helpful to know that all your wires are being used for something, and that they aren't spliced a million times. Nice work, and good job!

oh, and +1 on the wiring diagrams. Those are tough to work with. my strategy was similar to yours. I basically found the ECU connectors, cut the ends off and mined every single one of those wires out, which allowed me to remove so very much garbage. In my case though I knew I was going with all new mechanical gauges so I didn't have to worry about orphaning any of the factory ones.

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick update:

I have changed directions on the upgrades that I'm performing on this Bronco. I bought it because it was complete AND had a five speed. Over the past few months, I've realized my regular commute involves sitting in Portland traffic EVERY SINGLE DAY. I had to drive a BMW 540i (32-valve DOHC 4.4 liter V8 with a Getrag six-speed) commuting out to Intel in Hillsboro from Vancouver and back for eight months last year and came to loathe shifting while creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic.

I was browsing craigslist yesterday and came across an ad for an E4OD out of a 1994 Bronco with a 351 Windsor. I called the guy, Chuck, and we chatted for about 15 minutes. I wanted it, but the problem was he lives in Astoria, a small community at the mouth of the Columbia. (It's about a two-hour drive one way.) For the price, it was worth it, so we agreed to get together today after work. Well, I called him this afternoon to let him know I was on my way and he tells me he needs to meet his daughter in Longview this evening, and would I be willing to meet there instead. Longview is about 40 minutes away! ;Sweet

So, we met in Longview and I paid $50 for this (he was only asking $25, but I figured the extra would help cover his gas bill):

It does need to be rebuilt and I need to do some research to figure out what exactly I need to do to make it work, but I feel I had a productive evening. I checked the adapter plate that was on the back of the Cummins for the M5OD-R2 that came in the Bronco, and it matches the bellhousing of the E4OD perfectly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7