1990 E-350 will not shift

kronby

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought an E350. drove it home everything worked great. Let it sit for a while and it would not start. Decided it was the glow plugs so I replaced them all and it fired right up. However, upon getting it started it will not go into gear. I can move the shift lever into each position but it seems to remain in park. Looking under the van I can see that the shift lever is relaying action to the transmission, but nothing is happening. Transmission worked fine before. Brake lights work, front turn signals work, rear turn signals do not work, and hazards do not work. I was wondering if it was likely some sort of electrical issue, or if it was a mechanical issue with the transmission. Transmission is a e4Od, engine is 7.3 idi. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid I the tranny I have a Chevy that will fo the same thing because it leaks out of the trans pan an I haven't fixed it yet

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Something broke internally.

The tranny should have reverse and M2 with no power. If you don't have either, then it's dead.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Try leaving it in neutral or park and give it a little throttle for 20-30 seconds, then let off and see if it shifts. These old truck transmissions sometimes do that. Even rebuilt ones. I had a 78 Dodge with a 727 (3 spd AT) that did it. My 87 C6 does it too now and then. Transmission shops just shrug and say that's how they are. The torque converters drain out and have to refill before the trans will go into gear. Giving it throttle in P or N helps it refill faster without hurting the transmission. Don't do it in gear or you'll get a hard engagement when it bites, you might even stall it or worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online