1989 quad can short bed truck? Might go see what this is about.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I just noticed I made a typo, or got autocorrected in the thread title.

Mods, Any way to fix that?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did ford build this, or is it a conversion.
That's a conversion. IIRC Ford never built a factory crew-cab short-bed truck between 1980 and 1996, and CERTAINLY not a flare-side. For that matter, between 1980 and 1996, Ford never offered anything bigger than a 1/2 ton truck with a 6 foot bed. There WERE some 1997 F-250HD/F-350 crew-cabs with 6' beds, and I want to say they also sold extended-cab short-beds. But, that was only in 1997...

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC Ford discontinued the "flareside" beds available on the F150's after 1987. Ford then brought them back in 1992 in the F150, but those trucks had the "Flareside" badge on them. The flareside bed was never offered (as far as I know) in the 1980 up generations of F250/F350 trucks. On the bumpside and dentside trucks, a flare side bed was offered in all the trucks. The F250's/F350's could be had with a long box flareside bed.;Sweet

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not a fan of the whole flare side thing.
but a CC SB fleet side i could get down with.
wouldnt be worth it in Cali, im not dealing with getting the DMV.
but its interesting!

side note... my PSD will be a 6 door short DRW bed :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. No idi truck ever had a short bed. Only the long bed was the way they came off the line. I see sellers all the time listing an idi truck like.. "Comes with a long bed"... Douh.. They all came that way. But then again its a sellers statement trying to sell something by telling you "hey look at what you get here"..... If.. This really is a full length wheel base truck I wonder how a short bed fits the frame. I bet if you look hard enough you may find a modification tag under the hood or in a door jam. Look at the serial number plate to determine what it left the line as.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is the frame is from an extended cab long box. Then add the crew cab, and the short box. I've been thinking of something like this to get extra seats for the daughters long legs. I think I'd just fab up a flatbed with pull out ramps & a fifth wheel hitch, skip the box all together. When I've gotta haul something that needs a bed it seems like I'm better off with a dump trailer, rest of the time the box sides just get in the way.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is the frame is from an extended cab long box. Then add the crew cab, and the short box. I've been thinking of something like this to get extra seats for the daughters long legs. I think I'd just fab up a flatbed with pull out ramps & a fifth wheel hitch, skip the box all together. When I've gotta haul something that needs a bed it seems like I'm better off with a dump trailer, rest of the time the box sides just get in the way.

This won't actually work without a good bit of modification. The short box is too short to make up the difference by about 16-18". So it has to be a lot of custom work to get that result. I looked at swaping a crew cab onto my frame. It's non-trivial. Doable for sure but non-trivial.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory or not, if this thing was within 5 hours from me I'd be on my way. I bet you could get it for 7-800. That'd be a sweet trailer queen truck with a turbo 7.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

As I suspected. It's a hack job. Not really worth my time to mess with.

Still has a set of dally wheels on back. Didn't measure to see if it was a cab n chassis rear end or a srw rear. But either way, it was too narrow.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

As I suspected. It's a hack job. Not really worth my time to mess with.

Still has a set of dally wheels on back. Didn't measure to see if it was a cab n chassis rear end or a srw rear. But either way, it was too narrow.

Thanks for spending the time to go look & take pics. Sure not a good feeling to see that spring perch bolted like that. Mystery solved.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at wheelbase measurements of an extended cab long bed and a factory crew cab short bed, there's only a couple inch difference. Considered doing this myself. Although it'd be a clean and meticulous job.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were supposedly a few cc sb OBS trucks in 97 but they are like bigfoot. They've been spotted but the pictures are fuzzy. :rotflmao

No seriously, it could be done. To do it cleanly, you probably either do a custom bed or change the wheel base or find a frame that is close enough from something. I still may do it when my cab rusts out again if the rest of the truck is solid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828