1987 6.9 ford

tbryga

Reaction score
hey guys, im new to oil burners and i need some help i have an 87 6.9 diesel it runs good she got a 3 1/2 inch straight pipe sounds damn good.i dont have the money for a turbo right know..i just need some black smoke!!!! i know how to turn the fuel up, how much should i turn it though? is their anything else i can do to the truck????

tbryga

Reaction score
it has all the power i need,i was wanting to be able to leave black clouds of smoke.it used to smoke some,but after i cut the muffler off and put the straight pipe on it stoped smoking

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You need to have a pyrometer, more on a N/A engine than a turbo one. BIG NO NO to turn up the fuel on a N/A engine without one. You could melt pistons.

tbryga

Reaction score
exhaust

what inch straight pipe sounds the best? How big do you need to go so it wont cackle:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would say at 5" the cackle will go away. My 4" straight pipe only cackles above 3000 rpm's, and its kinda nice to have it when you downshift going down a hill at 60 mph into 3rd, sounds like a jake break ;Sweet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the money, I have the smoke. ;Really

moto-xking1313

Reaction score
speaking of jake break does it act a muffler because i have recently staight piped my truck and it doesnt sound like the other idi's:dunno

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say at 5" the cackle will go away. My 4" straight pipe only cackles above 3000 rpm's, and its kinda nice to have it when you downshift going down a hill at 60 mph into 3rd, sounds like a jake break ;Sweet.

Personally, I like the diesel cackle. That's why I want to run paralell turbos on my 7.3 into a '73-'79 swap. I feel like you lose too much of that characteristic V8 lope when you run all your smoke through a single, or compound turbo.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Black smoke is no good! Wasted fuel and high EGTs and your oil gets dirtier faster. Also makes people think diesels are dirty and then the enviro Nazis crack down on us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin