1986 Stock Gauges or Autometer

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got my 1986 F-250 with the stock cluster (speed, tach, water, oil, volts, fuel). I'm planning to turbo it soon and will be adding a boost/pyro gauge (either 2 gauges or a combo) and have space where the radio was, but I'm considering putting in all new gauges and fitting the gauges with the following in place of the stock cluster:

3 3/8"
-Speedo

2 1/16"
-Boost/pyro combo
-Fuel
-Oil pressure
-Water temp
-volts

Is the stock cluster gauges bad enough to require replacement if all of the gauges still function? This is about 450.00 for all gauges other than boost/pyro. My thought on placement is to put speedo to the left and the other 6 gauges in 2 rows x 3 columns. Is there a gauge I'm missing that would be useful to have?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the stock gauges tell you is "normal". That is not much info. I would definitely replace the water temp and oil. I am not sure if you can get a aftermarket fuel guage that will work with the stock sending units. I think yours is 90 ohms empty, 10 ohms full or in the neighborhood.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the stock gauges tell you is "normal". That is not much info. I would definitely replace the water temp and oil. I am not sure if you can get a aftermarket fuel guage that will work with the stock sending units. I think yours is 90 ohms empty, 10 ohms full or in the neighborhood.

ISSPRO and Autometer both have gauges that read 73-10 or 78-10 which should be right for the 86 sending unit. Good info on the gauges, I didn't realize the stock gauges were so limited.

gandalf

Reaction score
Yes, the stock gauges are very limited. The ones which tell you anything about engine condition are really nothing more than moving idiot lights.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the '86 gauges actually are better then the later ones. There are no numbers, but they change with increased temp, pressure, etc. I have aftermarket Isspro water temp, oil pressure, boost, and pyrometer, and my factory gauges are hooked up also. The fuel gauge is not too reliable, though it reads full when full. I use my trip odometer to "gauge" when I need fuel.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the '86 gauges actually are better then the later ones. There are no numbers, but they change with increased temp, pressure, etc. I have aftermarket Isspro water temp, oil pressure, boost, and pyrometer, and my factory gauges are hooked up also. The fuel gauge is not too reliable, though it reads full when full. I use my trip odometer to "gauge" when I need fuel.

Still sounds like it would be worth the upgrade if turbo'd. I wanted to check before going all in on a set of gauges.