1986 smokin column

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys the column is smoking off an on an also if ac is turned on off an on it will smoke. Thoughts? Specail tools for fix? Part?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you need to open it and pull wires through and check for shorts...plain and simple...or replace column with another one...

That's about it....find that heated wire before it causes catastrophic failure some how...cause starter to engauge when engine running...and not be able to undo that...fire...all kinda bad Ju Ju going on there!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear that I shall get her pulled apart now then an see whats going on under there.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, for safety you should unplug the batteries...

Many vehicles have been burned up by wiring issues - no one ever expects it until they come out with a blazing vehicle

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
SOunds like something in teh ignition switch . Love all that interconnected wiring. Mine started smoking at the turn signalstalk at one time, and had to replace that assembly

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I am thinkin it was but now with a closer look! Possible? That the engine blow by from valve cover is blowing up in the column an out around the wheel? I kinda thinking so?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the smoke is indeed crank-case "blow-by", it will have that sick nauseating hot oil smell.

If the smoke is of an electrical origin, it will have the un-mistakable smell of hot wiring and melting/burning insulation.

Ford column wiring is just a fire waiting to happen.

During the first few years of the truck's life, my turn-signal switch smoked heavily two or three different times, each time being replaced with another new unit.

Each of these occasions occured while simply cruising down the highway, with no signal activity whatsoever.

The last time it smoked, many many years ago, I dis-carded the entire signal mess from the column and installed an externally-mounted Signal-Stat non-cancelling turn-signal switch, just like found on all the GOOD big trucks.

Recently, I have completely accomplished doing away with EVERY electrical function that was originally contained within the column.

Now, the only purpose my column serves is to house the steering-shaft.

I have several older trucks around here that never had anything electrical in the column.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise-control went in the dumpster many years ago; I highly dis-like cruise-control and think it very un-safe.

The horn has been on an external button for many years; the old horn wires in the column are just in there and connected to nothing at either end.

I, too, have all the rear signals on relays.

I used two relays wired parallel for each direction.

As deaf as I am, I can hear the flasher and the two relays loudly CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, when I leave the engine running and a signal still flashing, such as when I stop at the post-office to get the mail; it sounds really cool and heavy-duty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin