1986 F-350 4x4

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy an 86 F-350 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.9, C6. Has one rust hole through the driver's floor-pan near the seam that the weatherstripping runs on, and a sizable dent inside the front of the bed. I have looked at buying this truck before, and I believe that it has no more than the claimed 38,000 miles on it.

While the interior is sad looking because of a rotten dash pad, and falling headliner, the truck is in perfect mechanical order. The 6.9 cranks right up, and has only minor leaks around the valve-cover gaskets (much less than mine), absolutely no blow-by, the C6 shifts firm;y without hesitation, and the D60 and Ford 10.25 axles show no leaks.

I want this truck so bad that I can taste it, but I'm not sure I want to pay for all of the little things on the list to fix it. He was asking $4,500, so I offered $3,750. After leaving, the guy called his brother (the truck's owner) and said he couldn't go lower than $4,000 because of what he owed on it, so now I'm trying to decide what to do before this truck gets bought out from underneath me for a third time...

All input appreciated.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Well, story is that it used to be a campus truck at SFASU hence th low miles. Mechanically it is in good shape, just the body is a little rough...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have a truck like that. But with those issues......I'd want it a bit cheaper to be honest.

Heath

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I don't like the issues, but I checked LMC, and the floor-pan replacement is only $60-ish, so I'm kinda thinking that even with a few issues, i might never see one this close again...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
truck owners in TX don't think nothing about treating a truck like a rented mule. being a campus mule, it was prolly treated worse. betcha the driver's floor rustout is due to the abusers leaving the windows down no matter what kind of weather it is. I betcha it even has the rubber floor covering instead of carpeting. water can't get out once it gets trapped in between the floor and the rubber. the TX heat is also responsible for the destroyed interior. Now to the bed. a big dent is no big deal. if the bed sides are blown out and the tailgate is the shape of a bananna and won't close anymore, you have a problem.
your number and the seller's number isn't that far apart. go for one more test drive and work the 4x4 stuff. If it doesn't give you any problems, buy the truck and plan on making summer roadtrip adventures into the yankee states for interior pieces.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth it IMO.

If he owes money on it and is that proud of the truck, let him keep it.
Sorry but guys like that **** me off.

Don't inderestimate how nasty a structural repair on a cab like that can be if you want to do it right. The good news is that anything up to 1996 could be adapted if you find something rust free. Realistically, the only things of real value in this truck are the low mileage 6.9, and the Dana 60 front end. Those two don't add up to $4500 even if it were true. I would say the truck is worth half that just based on what I read so far.

Low mileage or not, its still an old beat up truck. I think you can do better if you are patient.

In2Fords

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked my 86 F350 reg cab for $800. Replaced clutch, hood, GP's, injectors and return lines. It needs a head job as it has a valve not opening up so I put it up for a quick sale. The body is decent, interior is in good shape, power windows/locks work blah blah blah. I only asked $1000, I figured the dana 60 was wrth that and I was still losing money. After a month I didnt get a single "relaistic" phone call on it!! I got several people offering me $600 and less!! there are several running 6.9's for sale around here for $500 and less but since my 6.9 needs work it drops the value of the truck $2k acording to people that called so its not even worth more to them then $500. I told them I would swap out motors and sell it to them running for $2400, nope, not interested in a running truck, just a near running for under $500.

Im thinking in todays market you can do better for $4K! Around here you can find CC's for about $3-4K in good condition, PSD's for around $4-6K.
Good luck, Jeremy

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I got my '85 F350 CC 4x4 for dirt cheap, but it needed help badly (ask punkmechanic). If you do decide to buy it, I still have the '86 F250 standard cab for parts. Still have lots of interior stuff. It's heading to the wrecking yard in about two weeks, so let me know if you need anything and I'll get it pulled before it's gone.