1986 6.9 blown head gasket

TOPHER1

Reaction score
All,
I am new to the IDI's and I purchased a 1986 6.9 with what I believe is a blown Head gasket.. I have just purchased a completed Gasket set (vitor) and ARP head studes. My question is has anyone ever done this fix with the motor still in the truck?? I do not want to pull the motor if I don't have to. Plus I am worried about the fuel pump timing etc.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to turn the pump up and cut the soup bowl out and run a single stack to help performance and fuel mileage..
Thanks in advance
Chris

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Never had any direct experience with a IDI, but others have.

Two quotes from other forums in regard to IDI's:

Now just think this through before starting it.

Pulling a motor is NOT a very easy task, but neither is removing heads in vehicle.

You will have to strip the motor down either way.

And also keep in mind, the heads on these IDI's weigh over 80 pounds EACH. You will want to use chains and a hoist to remove the heads as they will be very hard to handle by hand. I can state that with experience, as on my V8 gasser, the heads weigh 65lbs each, and I had a struggle to handle them, and a heavier and larger head will obviously be harder to handle.

Here's a very good writeup on replacing the head gaskets.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?6.9L Gasket and Turbo Install

Read the WHOLE article, you won't regret it one bit, and it will save you some trouble.

God luck, let us know how it goes :D.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Also, why do you want to turn the pump up? If you do, you will need a pyrometer, but without a turbo all it will be good for is blowing smoke and using fuel.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
It's possible do do the heads while the engine is in the vehicle, but as one member on this site put it, he wouldn't do it again. It is definitely not a one man job.

If it turns out that there are more problems than the head gasket, you will probably wind up pulling the engine out anyway.

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted!