1985 F-250 4x4- headlights do not work, but all other lights do

Dino1191

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I took Big Red out the other day to a friends house and when I started to leave (at night), my headlights wouldn't work. Running, dash, and brake lights all work.

I am stumped. When I checked the fuse box, there wasn't anything labled for headlights. Is there a fusable wire somewhere I do not know about?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dino

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way... But have you checked your bulbs? Aside from that, I would start out by checking the wires. If I recall correctly, their is one wire that goes to the passenger side first, and the next light is jumped from that one.....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Dino1191

Reaction score
Thank you and I won't take any suggestions the wrong way. I am the one standing here scratching my head over headlights. :) Do you know if these year trucks have a fusable link and not a fuse in the fuse box?

I actually didn't check the bulbs only because both are out and that is pretty unusual, but, with a diesel, anythng can happen.

Thanks again and will let you know what I find.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headlight switch probably, Mine went out and if you pulled the switch out to just the right spot they would turn on again but changed switch and all is good now

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fuseable links. If their is a short along the way... It will pop the link and both would go out together.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I had to look on your recent postings since A) your truck is not in your sig, and B) you didn't post the year.

Since you are an '85, I'd wager it's your high/low switch.
It's a known trouble spot.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try the high beams?

What year truck? (And no, "it's in my sig" doesn't count; and the angle of your avatar pic doesn't provide enough of a clue....)

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes high low switch could be the problem also both switches are a cheap pretty quick relitibly easy job to do

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you dudes posting about what year this truck is, guys, did you even read the title of the thread? I mean, seriously. LOL

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most common area for problems is the switch on the floorboard like the other guys said(the high/low switch). They even sell a wire pigtail at the store, that switch lives a hard life down there in all the mud and water on your shoes.