1985 F-150 tech question

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a tech question that I hope someone can help me with. My son was given my old 85 it has the 5.0 two brl. It sat for a few years with periodic fuel cycling and routine starting (every two months). My problem is the truck died while in motion and wont restart. I have the three essentials, spark fuel and air. I have fuel to the carb ( sprayers) but the plugs are dry. I poured fuel down the carb and it didnt even try to fire so i,m thinking timing chain? Before I go and tear into this thing I would love to hear some input pehaps saving me from that task. Thanks, Jon

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Timing chain is possible, and I'm assuming you got "good" fuel...especially since your giving it a shot. If you have the three essientials, it doesn't leave much else, barring the three essentials are quality enough to make it run (good not weak spark, good fuel, etc)

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now all of a sudden it runs. I keep getting these mystery trucks! It must have something to do with something getting hot. Any ideas?

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know if it has a crank angle position sensor because I dont know what one is. I can give an educated guess as to what it is, but dont know where to look for it. ICM will be checked. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Does it have a distributor? If so, the ICM is often bolted to the side of the distributor and Ford's have a tendancy to have heat soak issues. Chevies on the other hand, just completely die! :) If it is a coil pack style of ignition (I'm a Chevy guy so I'm not sure what year Ford made the change...I'm thinking later than 85) it will have a crank position sensor that tells the coil packs when to fire. It's located where it can sense the crank, i.e. on the block. Some engines used a Cam sensor though as well. Like I said, I'm not sure on a Ford.

tractorman86

Reaction score
IIRC it should just have an ignition box on the drivers fender and it will have a regular distributer, make sure all the wires to the dist. are not grounding or making contact elsewhere. then change the ign. box it should be cheap and i dont think there is any way to test it.
Sle ford didn't go to the coil pack ign on trucks till 97

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
check the relays on the driver side fender, common for the plug to corrode and the wires to fall out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7