1356 t-case 4x4 lo only

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tore into it yet but my friends truck quit moving the other day when he sat in traffic. It was pushed into a lot until this morning. To sum it up no matter where you move the t-case lever the thing is stuck in 4x4 Lo. Also I noticed the front shaft will turn about 180* before it fetches up. This tells me it's in 4x4 and the chain is stretched, alot. It is possible to be low on fluid too since i noticed a leak and I think someone was runnin on the high way in
4-wheel. (just a hunch)
Are the manual and e4od tcases the same? Anyone run into this before?

Oh yeah today was the maiden voyage towing with the head gaskets finally solved I hope. egt's topped at 950 12psi boost and a whole lot of watching the temp gauge (keeping my foot out of it). Only once I worried when temp went up but settled right down once up to speed with the cruise set in O/D. No degrees but my gauge is consistent and running flat empty it's between the "n" & "o". When it went up today it peaked between "m" & "a" in normal. When I got home I checked the temp at the top of the radiator it was at 195*.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
just got a 95 that quit moving goin down the road, went to look at it. pulled the 4x shifter and drove it on the trailer, upon futher investigation the T case was shot, no oil in it,
the oil pump seized and broke , then wiped out other parts in it.

must have some how went to neutral, when the pump finally locked

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did something similar on my 3/4 ton years ago. I ended up having to replace the shifting forks. They are made out of aluminum and if the plastic guides go bad, then the shifting fork is worthless. $20 part and a few hours to fix, if I recall correctly.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a pump and bearing kit for a 1356...$100 plus shipping buys it all. All new parts. I'm going to rebuild the 1345 in mine when I do the ZF5 swap. I also have two 1356 transfer cases, one is PTO, one isn't, the one that isn't does not have the tail shaft extension housing, it was removed to install a GV overdrive unit.

Shoot me a pm if interested.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
All 1356 cases are the same, just check to see if it is a fixed or slip yoke. From what I know the 1345 and some NP205's will interchange as well. AFAIK all mounting flanges on the cases where they bolt to the transmission are the same.

They are cheap and around...get a used one, bolt it on and change the fluid.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I have a pump and bearing kit for a 1356...$100 plus shipping buys it all. All new parts. I'm going to rebuild the 1345 in mine when I do the ZF5 swap. I also have two 1356 transfer cases, one is PTO, one isn't, the one that isn't does not have the tail shaft extension housing, it was removed to install a GV overdrive unit.

Shoot me a pm if interested.

Where did you get the kit for the 1345? I need one of those...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I had a 1356 that siezed in 4-lo one day, put the pan under it, and popped the drain plug, nada, the planetary gear set broke and a used case was cheaper than a new gear set :dunno I might have some of the parts around, but they may also be buried in the weeds LOL

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My friend had the oil pump wipe out in his 1356. A used t-case was $40 from the yard.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did something similar on my 3/4 ton years ago. I ended up having to replace the shifting forks. They are made out of aluminum and if the plastic guides go bad, then the shifting fork is worthless. $20 part and a few hours to fix, if I recall correctly.

Tore into it and I found 3 things wrong. 1. less than a qt. of ATF 2. Pick up hose broke off at the pump 3. Shift fork ends broke and was behind the slide selector gear.

So who has a good source for a high/low (inner) shift fork?(the ends of the fork are female, with a groove in the middle of each fork)