12v cummins swap experiences

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HX35's, found on 94-98 12v cummins. These motors are 5.9l in displacement, and turn a factory 3000rpm's. Stock 12 valve boost 18-20psi

TP38's, found on 94-97 OBS PSD's. Motors are 7.3l and spin 3800 rpm's. Stock boost 15-18psi

If your going to go through the trouble of retrofitting a different turbo, I would only recomend going with something that comes for a like motor. The TP38 flows a lot more than an HX35.

Not saying the HX isnt a good idea, but stock for stock, an OBS or superduty 7.3 PSD would work better as it was designed for an engine with almost the same (or the same) displacement, and the same rpm's.

You can spend $300 on an HX35, or $300 on a TP38. HX35 has much more options than a TP38 as far as aftermarket is concerned, but stock for stock the TP38 flows much more.

But will a PSD turbo work? As long as it has a t3 flange....i can fab an intake hat.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We need to get 444IDI's thread back on it's intended track.

He can worry about turbos long after the engine is installed.
:)

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
digging up an old topic. is there a certain 90* manifold that I need? a guy nearby is selling a 90* manifold and turbo off a cummins 8.3. he said he sold it once and the guy sold it back to him because it didn't fit his 5.9. will an 8.3 manifold not work? i'd like to just go to a dodge dealership and quote a new one, but I dont know what kind of truck it needs to come off of.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
From what I have looked into the Manifold that works best looks like mine:

You must be registered for see images

However they didn't come out of the Dodge Cummins, They were out of the industrial applications,..buses, big trucks etc. So I really cant help you more than that. I know that Midnight Rider found one ant installed it on his truck but not sure where he found his.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My exhaust manifold is identical to Darrin's, in fact I studied his pictures a thousand times in my quest for one.

The 8.3 manifold is for a larger series engine, "C"-series I think; whereas, the 5.9 is a "B"-series, as in 3B, 4B, 6B, and even 8B, all sharing identical cylinders, valves, bearings, and such; there may even be a 2B.

Add a "T" for turbo and the 5.9 is a 6BT
;Sweet

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a A/C mount from a Case 580 backhoe or a 570 skip loader, they use the 4bt engines but the A/C comp. is mounted up next to the head. for those who have limited fab skills or lack of time.

adamg

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
i just used fordcummins motor mounts and have no clearance issues with ac compressor rear valvecover or turbo. worst thing i ran into was not having enough room for hood latch with second gen intercooler. i hate body lifts so hood pins will do :eek:

highfive

Reaction score
i just used fordcummins motor mounts and have no clearance issues with ac compressor rear valvecover or turbo. worst thing i ran into was not having enough room for hood latch with second gen intercooler. i hate body lifts so hood pins will do :eek:

got any underhood pics? what type of exhaust manifold is on the motor and how close is the turbo to the heater box?

thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351