12 Volt Glow Plugs

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I challenge you guys who use the push button, to graph your plug "on" time against a stop watch. I'd bet you'd be surprised to find out just how much your "8 seconds" or whatever varies. Sometimes our concept of time is affected by body temperature (I know, sounds like a lot of B.S., but I've heard of studies that related it to this), and your 8 seconds on a freezing cold day, may be a bit shorter than on a nice summer day. Anybody who burns out plugs with a push button either has a warped sense of time, or isn't holding them on long enough, and then going back for a re-fry in too short a duty cycle. Ideally, you really ought to be looking at 10 or 11 seconds for maximum effect, but that is getting too close to the hairy edge without a timing mechanism more reliable than your brain.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i think 8 clicks of my watch = 8 seconds.

it was either a co-worker or myself who did it. as i said i never had a problem until now. my impatience trying to start it with bad timing was probably at fault. at any rate i'm shopping for 12v plugs regardless.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, if you use your watch, that's smart. I doubt many do. The 12 Volt plugs are not a bad idea, just remember they need more time to heat up.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Rob, if you use your watch, that's smart. I doubt many do. The 12 Volt plugs are not a bad idea, just remember they need more time to heat up.

They sure do need more time to heat up. I heat for 15 seconds (my best guess) when it is warm. I heat for at least 30 seconds and sometimes more if it is really cold and I haven't had a chance to preheat.

I wish I had them in my 88 today. It was -5 deg F and I am not sure my block heater is working on that truck. Everything was turning fine but no light off. After a couple of tries, I give it a small squirt of starting fluid and it tried to start. Another small squirt and it started, but really griped about it for at least 30 seconds.

I might need a push button on the old 88 because the glow plugs didn't stay on as long as I thought they should. They are new Brews (only about 10 miles and 1 previous start). My wires may be less than perfect. Something to check.

akoldnav

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a DAS installed timer. The thing works great - almost like the stock system without the sticking and resulting GP burn out. During the summer I let it burn for 8-9 seconds (recommended by DAS). During the winter, I bump it up to 11-12 seconds. The thing with the timer is it always energizes the GPs regardless of engine temp. It also fires them every time I turn the key to the accessory position. Since my GPs are constant duty, it's not supposed to hurt - so they say. I paid around $300 US for the entire system, including new CD GPs, when I had my engine done in 2002.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mojave, that sonund like a really good system you have there. The Canadian dollar has really climbed against the American dollar since 2002 and the constant duty glow plugs are nearly that by themselves now.

akoldnav

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a local Beru dealer. DAS is a little protective about part numbers, but I'm sure we can find these GPs through another vendor. The DAS time is a small solid state box that's mounted under the dash. It had a little dial for adjusting the burn time. I have no idea where they get it.

brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online