12 Volt Glow Plugs

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
looked around for some 12 v GPs but only found Autoiltes. anybody got a part number for some Beru 12 volt GPs with spade connector? i gotta lose these 6 volt jobbies

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I was going to say zd-9 but those are for 7.3 and 6.9, are those you say the ones with the flat tip connector?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the dual coil glow plugs might work for you. They are supposed to be "self regulating". Do a search for dual coil on eBay. They come in the flat connector you are looking for. I put a set (OK, the 4 I could reach) in one of my 7.3's.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my 12 volt constant duty glow plugs from the following people:

http://dieselautoservices.com/

They cost quite a bit but I really like the ones in my 84 F250. I have started it in really cold conditions. You will need a push button system if you don't already have one. Zigster40 on TDS has some really good wiring diagrams, I think he is here also as ZIGG.

hope this helps

akoldnav

Last edited:

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
69oiler said:
thanks for the link. wow 40 bucks each huh... :eek:

Well, that is canadian, but they are still expensive. The Canadian dollar was a better deal when I bought the set I have in my 1984 F250. I think it came to $21 each then. I have not had one fail and sometimes on cold days I will have them activated for as long as 30 seconds, but the truck always starts.

akoldnav

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
that's what i'm looking for, a truck that always starts. do you use the 84 a lot? do you think these plugs would have a long life on a truck that gets used daily?

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
69oiler said:
that's what i'm looking for, a truck that always starts. do you use the 84 a lot? do you think these plugs would have a long life on a truck that gets used daily?

I don't use the truck every day, but when I do, it is often bad diesel conditions (cold). You did notice that I live in Anchorage Alaska. I have had them for some time now and I am very satisfied. I have needed to start the rig up when I wasn't plugged in and started with no problem down to 10 deg F (not my normal practice). None have ever burned out. The only thing that was difficult (not very) about changing over to these glow plugs was changing the connectors to fit them. DAS sent connectors.

All that said, you could probably do about as well by using a push button and Breu glow plugs. The DAS 12 volt glow plugs are really expensive as compared to when I put them in.

Good luck

akoldnav

aaklingler

Reaction score
Mine starts everytime in just a couple revs with the beru 6volt zd9s you'd want the zd1a from autozone.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Good batteries and good plugs are always the key. I'm sure you tried this but run a cycle, shut the key off completely and run a second cycle if need be. Then if it's real bad I'll hold the throttle down a little bit to help. But with 8 good plugs I don't even need to set the fast idle and advance unless we're in the low teens or single digits. Bangs and clangs but it starts! Wakes the nerighbors up. too! ;Sweet

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
guess i should clarify, i have had a push button for the GPs for years. never had any problems or had to plug in until i blew a head gasket last january. did the gaskets and the thing never started the same since. i think i have the timing dialed in now (was too far advanced) and it starts easier when plugged in or on ether but all my GPs are dead. i have the 6v Berus. i want to get 12v Berus with spade connectors this time and i will just have to hold them on longer. but 12v plugs shouldnt burn out the way 6v can.

ZD1A is a 12v plug?

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
If you have an International dealer close by they have the ZD9s for about 10$ each. There's a different part number but they say Beru on them.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you already have a pushbutton system and all your glow plugs are out, somebody has pushed the button for too long a time. My starting procedure before I put the 12 volt glow plugs in was to hold the glow plugs on for a max of about 8 seconds. If cold outside the glowplugs were off for 5 seconds and then on for another 8. I had a pushbutton system on an old suburban. I loaned it out and sure enough, it came back with all 8 glow plugs burned out.

If you go with Breu glow plugs, try 8 seconds on 5 seconds off and another 8 seconds on. It will probably start nicely then, if your batteries and starter are up to par.

I just replaced all 8 glow plugs in my 88 F250 and I really wanted to get those 12 volt glow plugs for it, like the ones in my 1984 F250, but they were just too expensive right now.

Best of luck

akoldnav

Last edited:

aaklingler

Reaction score
ZD1A are 6v probably what you have, as far as I know Beru doesn't make a 12v that will work for us.

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"as far as I know Beru doesn't make a 12v that will work for us"

According to DAS, that's exactly who supplies their 12v GPs. ...Beru and some other lesser known company. I've got a couple of CD GP out and need to replace them. DAS qouted me around $22 US for the Beru GPs - that was just before Christmas.

Brian

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online