10 ply tires for our trucks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm curious to hear the tire discussion, and I would prefer to see the political debates be left to the off-topic forums :angel:
you guys aren't supposed to make me work:backoff:backoff:backoff:backoff
let's keep it clean eh?;Sweet

now about the made in China tires......
the chinese will build whatever you spec. Most american tire companies are sourcing chinese made tires too. So is Nexen. Don't assume the name means anything anymore. this week my tire warehouse is having a special on Hercules Alltrac A/T. Hercules/Cooper....supposedly an american name.....this 235/85/16 is made in China. yup. 17/32 deep lugs, not bad looking, ok sidewall stiffness, balances out ok. my cost $109ea. it is what it is guys. now would I buy and install the chinese domestic branded stuff...not a chance in hell. those have no min spec let alone quality control.

Attachments

• SL374814.JPG
    SL374814.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 7
  • SL374815.JPG
    SL374815.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 3
  • SL374816.JPG
    SL374816.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 5

RyansFords

Reaction score
I went ahead and bit the bullet on a set of BFG A/T KO's. I have about 5k mi on them, even though I bought them in March and actually drive my truck almost daily. They handle great rain or shine. Haven't put them in the mud yet, and don't really plan to, so I can't attest to their performance there. They're quiet, track straight, and I don't have 3lbs of weights on my wheels. At 5k miles, they still have the little mold dimples on the center treads, and look brand new.

Only downfall was the price, I think I paid about $230 per tire. I would have used Treadwrights, but they were on 6-8 week backorder and my crappy noname tires were dry rotted and getting a bit scary. I ended up having severe belt shift in one at about 70mph, tire looked like an "S" when I took it off, so I was put into a bit of a pickle and had to get something fast.

I'm running 305/75r16's in E-load. My 89 is 2wd with 08 F450 1 5/8" lift springs. They rub just a bit a full lock, but I think that problem will be resolved whenever I get around to buying some 10" wide wheels.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score

the chinese will build whatever you spec. Most american tire companies are sourcing chinese made tires too. So is Nexen. Don't assume the name means anything anymore. this week my tire warehouse is having a special on Hercules Alltrac A/T. Hercules/Cooper....supposedly an american name.....this 235/85/16 is made in China. yup. 17/32 deep lugs, not bad looking, ok sidewall stiffness, balances out ok. my cost $109ea. it is what it is guys. now would I buy and install the chinese domestic branded stuff...not a chance in hell. those have no min spec let alone quality control.

I got those SAME tires on my truck as we speak right now. All trac A/T's. Quiet, REALLY good in the wet stuff....not so good if you want to get to the fishing hole, but REALLY nice highway tires!!! I have ran them ALL summer, travelling 60 miles a day...I put about 12000 miles or so on them now and there is LOTS of tire left!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
goofy-
is the tire cupping at all?
I'm a little concerned on the tread design. if you're not getting a bad experience on the front of a TTB50, that's a good deal;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
goofy-
is the tire cupping at all?
I'm a little concerned on the tread design. if you're not getting a bad experience on the front of a TTB50, that's a good deal;Sweet

Don't forget, I have a D60 :D.

I will take a picture of the tires when I go outside....there is a little cupping, but it's so little you can JUST BARELY feel it on the steer axle...but don't blame the tires, blame my cheap ass for aligning it with a measuring tape and not a garage with an alignment table.

On a side note, I had over 1000 pounds worth of concrete core samples in the bed of my truck, stacked up right against the tailgate (my back is out and I didn't want to move them any further than I HAD to, or else they wouldn't have been at the VERY back of the truck) with only 60 PSI in the back tires, and I NEVER had hardly ANY swaying, the tires wern't hardly bulged out at all, and wern't even warm to the touch after I made the 30 mile hike home.

The REAL test is when I bring home 800 core samples in ONE load.....130 samples were 1032 pounds......800 samples are going to be 2900 pounds :D

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I've been in the tire buisnes for a little over 7speeding years now and agree with everything in this thread chinese tires don't balance always have ride issues and don't seem to last the name brand from china seem to be better but you still get some bad ones from time to time I went withe general grabber at2 on my truck they r knock off bf g. All terrains awesome tire on the road force balllancer they took a little more weight than I like but they were all round no excessive road force and I have had no issues with them to date four thousand miles latter

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I myself like the BFG Rugged Trail. They are what came stock on the Superdutys in the 99 and 2000s. not an overly aggressive tire but do quite well in mild off roading. And they wear well will almost NO road noise or cupping.

If they would come in a 315 i think that is all I would put on my trucks.

Now, If you never leave the pavement, then the bFG Commercial Traction is for you. Last FOREVER and are a quality built tire.

No I am NOT a real BFG fan. I wouldnt run the all terrains if they were FREE and I used to like the OLD mud terrain but absolutely hate the new design. I just like the 2 tires above

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yes, the old Mud Terrains were an AWSOME tire....the new ones look too aggressive and would wear out WAY too fast with any day to day road use. I would consider them if I had a pure off road truck, but then again the super swampers I had on my chevy were the BEST off road tire period!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said earlier the Good Year wranglers that were on the truck when I bought it had sidewall issues and they were load range E, As for Chinese tires since my truck is a Ford I would never put anything on my truck that is made in a foreign country unless it was a complete emergency and it was the only tires available. Even at that I would have them replaced ASAP and if it were an emergency I would put used on first if it were possible.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

None of Nexen's tires are produced in China.

Kumho and hankook have plants in China for their low end tires. Both of which are crap.

I saw a few BFG and even some new Michelins come out of China. The Michelin was a OE tire on a new camry which had a belt seperation from unknown causes at 7k.

I'm Chinese.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are game

PM me with your prices towcat ...we may do a little business

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
We used to run these on the trucks at the windfarm...

Nobody's going to be slashing the sidewall on these babies. :sly

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/line.cfm?prodline=160110

Although i've heard they are a little pricey. :D

Thanks, Justin,

If things keep going the way they are getting, that's what I'm going to be forced to put in my van. There is a produce shop in town, in a bad neighborhood, where I deliver stuff from my farm that always have few guys hanging around or seating at the parking lot, drinking beers (you know because you don't have to put a soda can inside a brown paper bag), even as early as lunch time. They have the nerves to ask every body for spare change while they are drinking and wasting time there. The chinese lady that owns the shop is afraid of them and don't want any trouble with them. I know they are causing her loses because some people are not stoping there when they see the usual crowd seating outside. These are the people I suspect damaged my tire because I don't give them any change and at one time when a couple of them went to the back of my van to see what I was loading in the handtruck I said to them: "Stay the hell away from here! Out of my way, I'm working!.

These tires look very strong but I'm sure they are very expensive. I wonder if they last enough to justify the investment.

Thanks, Burt. (I'm kind of upset, still, and this thread was not as smooth as others)

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Justin,

Thanks, Burt. (I'm kind of upset, still, and this thread was not as smooth as others)

I think the original version of your post made it that way.

Here is what I would do in your situation. Get one of those dash cams on Ebay. If you don't want to do that then a little sign in the window "This truck under video surveillance at all times" might help. As for dealing with pan handlers I dealt with them all the time when I was living in California. I never gave them a dime. One time at 4am I was heading to the train station and a pan handler grabbed me by my arm because I wouldn't give him anything so I just punched him upside his head and he let go. I walked in the worst areas of their and no one usually bothered me, they knew better.

The people like you encounter are more than likely drug users or alcoholics. Not the type of people you mentioned in your original post. Also by the Chinese woman allowing them to sit or be their is the reason she is losing business. Perhaps she should be calling the cops on them and have them removed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the original version of your post made it that way.

Here is what I would do in your situation. Get one of those dash cams on Ebay. If you don't want to do that then a little sign in the window "This truck under video surveillance at all times" might help. As for dealing with pan handlers I dealt with them all the time when I was living in California. I never gave them a dime. One time at 4am I was heading to the train station and a pan handler grabbed me by my arm because I wouldn't give him anything so I just punched him upside his head and he let go. I walked in the worst areas of their and no one usually bothered me, they knew better.

The people like you encounter are more than likely drug users or alcoholics. Not the type of people you mentioned in your original post.
stop baiting or you're getting a vacation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online