10 ply tires for our trucks

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Somebody pushed a knife into one of my tires last Friday while I was in town at Lowe's. When I got home and got out of the truck I heard the hated sound of an air leak. It was in one of the rear tires, a slash on the side, close to the edge, and the tire was almost empty-cuss. I knew a plug had but a few chances to hold on there but I put one in anyway and stayed there without leaking after I raised the pressure back to 75. Stayed there fine all Saturday and I thought it may hold on until Monday morning that I was going to the tire place in town.

Yesterday, Sunday, I had to drive two hours to a farm south of us and while working there in a tower I built for a 1000 gallons water tank and a wind turbine I heard the plug pop out and the psssssss. I came down and put 2 plugs together and they look like tight and sealed the leak, put the air pressure back in 75 and hit the road back home. I didn't want to change it and put the spare tire until I got home because I discovered some ugly cracks in the spare tire on Friday, so I hoped and prayed the plug will stay there just two more hours. Well to make a long story short, a trip that takes me 2 hours it took me 5 hours because I had to stop 7 times, in every little town on the road home, in the middle of the night, to push in some new plugs and put some more air until I got home.

Today I went shopping for 2 new tires, and boy they are expensive now! The four I had are 235/85R16E Goodyear Wrangler. The tire shop is asking $220 a piece. If I put Firestone $180 each. A Korean brand Nexen was $140 each. All are 10 ply tires, I don't trust the 8 ply Walmart was selling me for $160 each.

Whoever did the damage in my tire, with only 20, 000 miles on it, cost me almost $300 plus 6 hours waisted shopping in town. I only put one new tire. Next week I'll get one more to have the spare changed.

Can you imaging if I catch somebody messing with my truck tires, some other day, in town?:backoff

Burt, (you don't want to know what I wanna put here today!).:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
which nexen? The roadian LT or HT?

I've had great luck with the nexens! I put them on the 15 passenger cargo vans i service in the fleet. 80K a set from those. They ride very nice too for a 10 ply.

I have the Nexen N3000 on my Benz. Their passenger tire the CP672 is also great!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Hey i just checked my tire distributor for you.

The Nexen 10 ply in that size is the Roadian HT. Its a replica of the Michelin LTX M/S (the origional, not the M/S2). Very good tire, especially for the price.

A step up for 7 dollars more a tire is the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 also a 10ply.

the Nexens cost me 115 a tire, Kumho 122 just to put things in perspective.

The Nexens do very well in the rain with their siping.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
...The four I had are 235/85R16E Goodyear Wrangler...

G/S? if so are they loud?
I personally liked my 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer ATRs (Load range E) but just changed back to my 235/85R16E Goodyear Wrangler G/S set and them things howl worse than the Wild Country Radial TXR 315/75R16s I had on my 97.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Hey i just checked my tire distributor for you.

The Nexen 10 ply in that size is the Roadian HT. Its a replica of the Michelin LTX M/S (the origional, not the M/S2). Very good tire, especially for the price.

A step up for 7 dollars more a tire is the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 also a 10ply.

the Nexens cost me 115 a tire, Kumho 122 just to put things in perspective.

The Nexens do very well in the rain with their siping.

I got the Nexen HT. I was planning to leave it as the spare tire and put another Goodyear Wrangler to keep all four tires the same kind and brand since the Goodyears are relatively new. It's good to know this brand I got is good. I was not happy when I drove back home today after I put this one on, first because it was not an american tire, and second, I have never heard about this brand before. Too bad there was no tire place with Goodyear tires in stock. I asked one of them to order one Goodyear Wrangler and they said in two or three days they will be ready for me.

Thanks for the info.

Burt.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
G/S? if so are they loud?
I personally liked my 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer ATRs (Load range E) but just changed back to my 235/85R16E Goodyear Wrangler G/S set and them things howl worse than the Wild Country Radial TXR 315/75R16s I had on my 97.

Well, you may say they are kind of loud, but I don't mind the noise. If I'm listening to Rush or Neil I just crank the volume up some more to compensate. My wife says she knows when I'm getting close to the farm 1/2 a mile away, the dog too and it runs to the road to receive me there.

Thanks,

Burt.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I see a bunch of JUNK chinese import tires. I even see INDIAN built tires now. Buddy of mine does crash investigations. Just went over a file for a wreck on 95. Indian built tire seperated, killing 3 in a rollover on 95. I see quite a few chinese failures too.

The koreans can build a tire. infact Hankook, kumho, and nexen build some of the best tires on the market. Own a Lexus RX suv? Lexus removes the factory goodyear eagle RS-A for either a Hankook ventus RH07 or the Kumho KL51 APT.

If you browse Tire Rack, they are starting to carry Nexens. If you have one off the rim they are built very well. They take less weight than most domestic brands.

I like Towcat own a repair shop. I won't sell anything i won't install on my own car. The Koreans build a good tire. The chinese, not so much. The indians? Don't think so. Had a customer bring me a set of indian tires to mount on his Honda. They were egg shaped on the balancer.

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put 2 new Michelins on my back axle, they ride nice on the highway but I did have traction issues pulling a 5k lb trailer up a rough caliche driveway with the bed unloaded..

they are about 200 bucks a pop as well

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I like the talk about tires.

Now I've had a set of Kumhos on my truck since 07, and they STILL have tread and can pull through or on anything. I never heard of them before I got them for a good price from the place that we've always bought our farm tires from, but now I appreciate them. I have a LOT of miles on them and at least one GOOD winter left in them. I wonder if their value has dropped any...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
anyway, i dont know what load range they were (e i think) but we used firestone transforce HT and ATs at work and they carried the load on our E-450 shuttle buses with no problems and had good wear for the driving we did (50K to a set on the rear, the ATs). Also they arent to expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..... i agree with the OP.......

anyway, i dont know what load range they were (e i think) but we used firestone transforce HT and ATs at work and they carried the load on our E-450 shuttle buses with no problems and had good wear for the driving we did (50K to a set on the rear, the ATs). Also they arent to expensive.

what is meant by the term OP??