10 ply tires for our trucks

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Only one size? I don't remember that detail but I do remember that it was on almost new tires and a lot of dealers called customers back to change their tires.

BTW I was a huge Beatles fan too.

Thanks, Burt.

Burt, the Firerocks you are thinking about were the ones that Ford put on the Explorer. Again, this was a Ford issue, but they went after the manufacturer (Like IH and the 6.0). To make a softer ride, Ford recommended the tire pressure to be lower than Firerock's minimum for that tire... causing excessive heat and tire separation.....

I know in the 70 Firestone had a tread separation issue that I remember Dad talking about....

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burt, the Firerocks you are thinking about were the ones that Ford put on the Explorer. Again, this was a Ford issue, but they went after the manufacturer (Like IH and the 6.0). To make a softer ride, Ford recommended the tire pressure to be lower than Firerock's minimum for that tire... causing excessive heat and tire separation.....

I know in the 70 Firestone had a tread separation issue that I remember Dad talking about....

FIRESTONE has always built the absolute best BIAS truck tires.

Also, no other company even comes close to building as good of BIAS agricultural, industrial, and mining tires as FIRESTONE.

However, FIRESTONE has been plagued with several RADIAL tire headaches.

The big recall of the late 70s was the Radial 500.

I think I remember an episode with the 721s.

Several of the LT Steeltex had their share of problems.

The Ford Explorer episode was about 50/50 Fords fault.

The LT R4S would hardly stay together long enough to get off the parking-lot.

One thing I will say for their radials, if you can get one to stay together, the tread will last forever and outwear anything on the road.
:)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Here are those pics I was supposed to upload last week of my Hercules All Trac A/T's. The rain kept me inside all week, but here we are. These tires have roughly 12000miles on them or roughly 20000 Kms. They seem to be wearing evenly, balanced up ok and I haven't had any issues with them. I have hauled a couple thousane pounds in the bed with no blowouts or handling issues. :dunno they only cost me $150 a tire plus balancing and installation feeds..;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
After checking prices on all the options I have, the best deal looks to be Nexem Rodian AT for $130 each. No other brand has a lower price in the 10 ply types. I"m going to change them to AT because yesterday I got stuck in sugar sand just 400 yards from my drive way and had to use the tractor to pull the van out. Those highway tires are not good for me here, I need more traction.
Thanks to all again for your help, including Compu Doc.
Burt.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
FIRESTONE has always built the absolute best BIAS truck tires.

Also, no other company even comes close to building as good of BIAS agricultural, industrial, and mining tires as FIRESTONE.

However, FIRESTONE has been plagued with several RADIAL tire headaches.

The big recall of the late 70s was the Radial 500.

I think I remember an episode with the 721s.

Several of the LT Steeltex had their share of problems.

The Ford Explorer episode was about 50/50 Fords fault.

The LT R4S would hardly stay together long enough to get off the parking-lot.

One thing I will say for their radials, if you can get one to stay together, the tread will last forever and outwear anything on the road.
:)

Midnight,

I have to agree. With my Transforce A/T's I have about 40,000 on them and have at least 50% tread left... I would think I would see 65,000+ miles out of them. They have been a great tire.... have been happy with the wear, and they have not left me anywhere because of traction.... in the muck, and the snow..... even the one day we had enough sleet there was 3-4 inches of sleet on the ground (just like driving in loose sand). It just motored right through. I know the weight, and distribution the I have helps alot.....

That being said, you have really peaked my interest in the BIAS tires you have now......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
After all the aforementioned talk about tires getting *slashed* I figured I ought to point something out. A whole lot of cases where folks *thought* that their tires got slashed, have been something else entirely. Railroad tracks have a real nasty habitof retaining all kinds of interesting things that get wedged into the tracks at crossings. The teeth off mowers that are already loose, have a real nasty habit of getting rattled off when tractors cross the tracks and getting lodged in the tracks, and unlike pizza that always lands top down, the darn things always seem to land point up ( no real mystery , the base is heavier ) The things will bite well up into a sidewall. Ive dodged more of them than I can count. All the tire shops around here are well aware of it as in most rural and semi rural areas, basically anywhere theyve been using sickle bar mowers to cut ditches down,( which is a LOT of places) you can expect it.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
wanted to share some of the Nexen Roadian HT tires that i install alot of. These go on 15 passenger shuttle vans.

Sorry for the horrible pics but
Load Range E

Made In Korea, not CHINA.

Nexen

Set of 4 Nexens, you can see the tread pattern. Lots of siping for great wet traction

Just installed 12 of them today on 3 vans. They average about 60K in the service they see, lots of stop go and low speed turns. E-Series front ends aren't nice on the front tires when lots of low speed turns are involved but they wear very well. ONly thing that comes close in my use is the factory Michelins but these vans seem to now come only with the Hankook Dynapro A/S which is a garbage tire. DOn't wear worth a darn and terrible traction. I thought the drivers were full of it till i slid a van with 11 people in it sideways in a low speed turn.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
When i was workin for my county in the garage, we had a new E-350 high roof with a wheelchair lift that came with those hankook tires. i agree, absolute garbage. try driving one of those van with a high roof and wheel chair lift in the rain...almost as bad as the goodyear RT/S (rain traction/sucks) tires that came on a lot of the rangers. my g/f couldnt back up the hill by her house in the rain with them lol.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
When i was workin for my county in the garage, we had a new E-350 high roof with a wheelchair lift that came with those hankook tires. i agree, absolute garbage. try driving one of those van with a high roof and wheel chair lift in the rain...almost as bad as the goodyear RT/S (rain traction/sucks) tires that came on a lot of the rangers. my g/f couldnt back up the hill by her house in the rain with them lol.

I'm not saying these Nexen tires are the best thing since sliced bread. We were on the topic of tires and i wanted to throw my $0.02 in as i've used a bunch of tires on these vans and i run whats the best bang for the buck. I've never driven a van with these tires on snow and ice so i can't say there. I'm just saying for the price, its hard to beat these tires. These tires from my supplier are about 5 bucks more than the cheapest LT tire which happens to be Indian built.

Now if its just a cargo van, i've had great wear out of the Cooper SRM II. Can't seem to recommend any other cooper as i've had lots of seperation issues with their other tires.

The badyear? Holy crap i had a set on my Danger Ranger. They didn't last 300 miles before i said enough is enough and put a set of BFG All Terrains on it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
itsa,

I have to agree the E-Series are ******* steer tires. It seems the 73-91 body was worse for us than the 92+. On our 85 E-150 Customized Van (it was fairly heavy) it had a set of POS Firestone Supreme P 235 75 15's on it. I blew out the sidewall on 2 or 3 of those tires on low speed turns pulling into a parking space. If there was a rock on the pavement it would pop the sidewall just like a needle into a balloon. We finally ran a set of 31 10.50 15 LT's on it (from our 83 F-150 4x4 after the wrist pin let go). That really helped with the tire issues, and had much better traction.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
itsa,

I have to agree the E-Series are ******* steer tires. It seems the 73-91 body was worse for us than the 92+. On our 85 E-150 Customized Van (it was fairly heavy) it had a set of POS Firestone Supreme P 235 75 15's on it. I blew out the sidewall on 2 or 3 of those tires on low speed turns pulling into a parking space. If there was a rock on the pavement it would pop the sidewall just like a needle into a balloon. We finally ran a set of 31 10.50 15 LT's on it (from our 83 F-150 4x4 after the wrist pin let go). That really helped with the tire issues, and had much better traction.

First off for your tire blowouts you were running the wrong grade of tire. P metrics are for cars only. If they don't have the L-T on the you are asking for trouble. I've had several vans come in when I started working down here complaining it was aligned wrong and was destroying tires. Every single one was a plain P series. Yes the E vans are brutal on tire but using Ps just amplifies the problem. Boss thought I was insane making customers spend $40 more a tire for the same brand of tire but with a L-T rating. Funny thing is it fixed the problem.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
First off for your tire blowouts you were running the wrong grade of tire. P metrics are for cars only. If they don't have the L-T on the you are asking for trouble. I've had several vans come in when I started working down here complaining it was aligned wrong and was destroying tires. Every single one was a plain P series. Yes the E vans are brutal on tire but using Ps just amplifies the problem. Boss thought I was insane making customers spend $40 more a tire for the same brand of tire but with a L-T rating. Funny thing is it fixed the problem.

Yup, those P tires are just for big oldsmobiles etc . I remember when I had a 3/4 ton cheby van it cam with the blamed P rated tires and when I went to replace them shortly after I got the thing, I wanted LT tires and the moron at the tire shop was trying to convince me that those were not the correct tires for my van and it was supposed to take the P series cookoo P series are just plain scary on something that heavy

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. When I got my first suburban a friend who worked at tire shop was going to get me a great deal on some tires for it. Said he could get me 245-75-16 for $40 dollars each installed with his discount. Looking at the size I'm sure you know it was a 3/4 ton sub. Showed up to find it sitting on Ps and bulging them quite impressively. I walked in and told them to pull them off and get me a set of L-Ts with an E-rating. They still spent 20 minutes trying to convince me that I should keep the Ps on it. Sub was an old railroad transport that weighed damn near 10K empty due to the double wrapped frame it had and other assorted things. I miss that truck.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. never never never put P metrics on anything bigger than a golf cart

2. I like Yokohamas, they change their tread pattern before I wear out a set.

3. ..... well ... I got nothing ....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online