10.25 pinion Q's

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Here's my issue, toasted the inside (large) pinion bearing on a 10.25, so pulled it and put another one on, pressed in place over the existing shim that was on there. Left everything else the same, but with a new crush sleeve. Pounded the new race in, all the way til it seated against bottom. Is there anything else I should do, or use this as my base for checking everything? When I put it in, and tighten the pinion nut, the nut gets tight like it doesn't want to go any further, and I still have about 3/8 of an inch of in and out play. Should I go ahead and tighten that nut to crush the sleeve, or should I not have that play at this point? It's an axle from a 90, haven't measured but I believe it to be the shorter one, not the newer longer style pinion. Everything else is original inside. I'm starting to get lost :dunno

Thanks.

Chris

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to keep going, the crush sleeve is tough to crush. So far sounds good.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Thanks...that's what I did, after further research (way more than I wanted to) I figured I'd go put it to it. Got it all done and ready to roll.

So my one day job of lifting this truck and swapping front and rear axles turned into a bit more :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin