03 Ford 6.0L Upgrades and ?s

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2003 Ford F-250 XLT with the 6.0L. I have heard terrible things of them but with the amount of miles on it, i figured all the kinks had worked themselves out. Completely stock Ex. Cab 2wd automatic. great shape that i paid 6200 for. Bought it on Sunday, ordered the MBRP 4" single straight pipe on Tuesday and looking at the ICEMAN Performance filter on ebay for it. Does anybody have any information on this company and or a reveiw on the filter? Was looking at an S&B but everybody says to keep stock box setup and to upgrade filter, just wondering if anybody had any reviews or experience with this company. Have no intentions of programming it, but want the rumble and the turbo whistle the 03's are known for.
FORD F250 F350 PICK UP TRUCK 6.0L DIESEL AIR FILTER - eBay (item 250757192153 end time Mar-14-11 20:25:45 PDT)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say do not replace the stock filter at all. The are the best filter you can get, and they are good to 400+ hp. They last forever, not 100% sure but mine may be the factory one, with 107,000 miles on it. They can hold over 3 POUNDS of particulates before they are plugged. They are not cheap, but a $100 filter to protect a $10,000 engine, cheao insurance. Also when you change oil and fuel filters. Use MOTORCRAFT FILTERS ONLY!!!!! Mine with the stock air filter whistles like mad. Best suggestion for longevity and being trouble free is to leave it stock... not tuners or programers, chips, etc (Personal opinion). Mine is that way and have had no problems in 107,000 miles. Factory, EGR Valve, EGR Cooler and Factory Turbo......

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree leave the stock air intake alone unless you are trying to make loads of power. Iv'e seen way too many dusted turbos on engines with aftermarket intakes

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree leave the stock air filter, how many miles are on it and have u looked at the air filter to see how clean it is? And if you havent have fun i think the worst and most time consuming air filter ive ever changed was a stock 6.0 air filter! lol

-Jordan-

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Taking it out wasn't to bad, I took the hose off the MAF, at least that is what it looks like, and I had the drivers side battery out. The first time sucks, but once you know how it is supposed to go, its not to bad... Much better than a dusted turbo, or $10k engine.....

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase. Get some gauges and put a coolant filter on it.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant Filter DIY

I know there are some how-to write ups on here on how to do a coolant filter setup. Does anybody have the link to it?

I like the 6.0L so far. Not too crazy about the automatic, so if it ever goes out, i will be looking to put in a 6speed manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc