Winter Blend Fuel

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
How much does your mpg drop when you use winter blend?

during the summer driving the truck how ever i want i can get 19 mpg. calculated my mpg today and i got 15mpg:eek:. does the winter blend really drop it down that much. i am using the diesel kleen winter formula at every fill up.

at work today there was a guy that came in with a 2005 6.0L and he said that he is getting about 20mpg. it is an excursion, lifted, 35" mud tires, 4" straight piped exhaust, and a tuner. he said that when using winter fuel he can't use the tuner and he still gets 20mpg. he said that if he uses the tuner in the winter it messes up the turbo.:dunno i know my idi vs. his 6.0l psd is not apples to apples but it does not make any sense.:confused:

thanks

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
After driving a diesel prisoner transport van for years I noticed a 15 to 25% drop going from Summer 2 to winter 2 and then to winter 1.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
it's normal, winter fuel does not have the kick that summer fuel does. it's just something you have to live with

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Even Summer 2 in different parts of the country is better... I notice a increase in MPG from south of Sioux Falls, SD on down , and also a price change. I get better MPG coming back on #2 in TN than I do going down.

Black dawg

Reaction score
do your math his way and you will be way better than 20.

I have a VERY hard time believing and excursion on 35s gets 20.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even Summer 2 in different parts of the country is better... I notice a increase in MPG from south of Sioux Falls, SD on down , and also a price change. I get better MPG coming back on #2 in TN than I do going down.

Thats interesting about south of SF, not that I get south too often. I wonder if the terminals in the Sioux City or maybe even Omaha would be the difference.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Winter blend dropped me a couple of mpg. I actually thought someone stole fuel out of my tank it hit me so hard.:backoff I was approaching 15mpg's as my engine was breaking in, winter blend dropped me down to 12-13.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I dunno I just always noticed a price drop south of souix falls over north and west of it. Maybe it is just cause of the distance out there.

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i usually get around 18-19 in the summer but winter i drop to 15-16. it never did that when i lived in surprise az. so i guess its the diesel

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
that gives me hope that my psd will pick up 2-3 mpg in the summer! 14.5 mpg sucks when people out there in cclb 4x4s claim to be getting 18

wmoguy

Reaction score
I lose 2-3 mpg on winter fuel. Last tank of diesel I was down to 13. That's annoying....:mad:

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A person has to remember that winter time also brings longer warm up times, it takes alot of energy to warm up the drivetrains on these trucks, which = fuel wasted. There also tends to be alot more idle time which also wastes fuel....