4" exhaust build

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
This winter I've been putting the pieces together of a 4" exhaust, including a much larger Y-pipe. I preferred it to exit at a 90 degree, like OEM. (that preference cost more than I thought) The one thing I DON'T have... connections. No not for the pipes, I'm talking about people that work in a parts store or at a dealership. So that leaves me to wait for the best deals or sales and then act quickly when they surface.

So for folk's without connections, hopefully this will help or be a base for you to get ideas off of. I'm in no way portraying this as the best or only way, and certainly not the cheapest.

First thing I looked into was getting a Dynomax #54387 tailpipe. This works, but many folks with it have commented they didn't like that it exits so close to the tire. I agree'd after looking at some of the pictures. It also needs a tip to get the pipe far enough out that the soot isn't covering your rear bumper. I also found folks that used a Dynomax #55102 tailpipe that's for a 99+ ford too. For a low-price build, one of these tailpipes and some straight 4" pipe would be the way to go.

What I was really interested in was a 90-degree exit behind the tire. The only one's I could find like that were two-piece tailpipes that cost $120+. That price, along with ordering a muffler, pipes, and hangers seperate was looking like alot, so I looked into cat-back systems for 94-97 OBS PSD's. Turns out they're perfect! So now the search was on for a system on sale.

I ended up finding a Diamond-Eye 4" cat-back system for a 94-97 OBS PSD. Being that my '88 is N/A, I needed a muffler too. I live and commute in one of the more cop-infested towns and I really don't like attracting their attention. I found one on sale for $229 shipped, (it's not on sale at the moment):

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com...single-94-97-73l-ford-powerstroke-k4310a.aspx

This gave me the two-piece tailpipe, a big straight-through muffler, and all the hangers and connections, including the 4-3.5 adapter. Sweet.

Now all I needed was a Y-pipe. Dynomax/Walker and Autojet both make performance Y-Pipes for N/A IDI's. WHile I read that Autojet was the better of the two, the Dynomax was widely available, while the Autojet was more proprietary to them. The Autojet Y-pipe was $129 + shipping. That was more than I wanted to spend on a Y-Pipe. I found the Dynomax one at Rock Auto for $78.62 + shipping, and it was a two-piece design that allowed you to keep the crossmember on while installing it. So that's what I got.

Part numbers for the Dynomax are: #55287 and #52272. With shipping and the discount, it was in the $90 range.

That puts the build at $319 for everything shipped to my door, ready to install. I realize that's WAY more than 95% of the members here are gonna spend on an exhaust. But i'm in the process of seriously fixing up my '88 crew cab, and a professional exhaust system was an ok investment for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Driver's side manifold pipe

Y-Pipe number

Adapter that came with the PSD system, it's a 4-3.5" adapter

As you can tell, it's gonna need a bit of squishing, but atleast its there and not another expense.

Im installing it Tuesday. I will post pictures when I'm done. Thanks for looking

Last edited:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very similar to the exhaust I have on my truck. I had a muffler shop rebuild my Y pipe with 3 in and I run to my 3.5in walker BTM, to the 4in napa tail pipe. My friends love the way it sounds. I will have to snap some photos.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Make sure you get a before and after vid too...I'd love to hear the difference in sound.

I'll get an after, the stock exhaust currently on it is silent, so not much comparison. I think with N/A, and only one straight-through muffler, it's gonna be loud :eek:

I will have to snap some photos.

Please do, much appreciated

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first idi was a 88 7.3 5 spd. I split the pipe right blow the back seat and ran 3" duals out behind rear wheels. When I would shift at 2000 or pull something that heffer would TALK!!!

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are some photos, I'm sure I could collect a sound clip if you don't mind it being dark.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good info, Some of those pipe numbers need to be in the parts bin.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible for you upon finishing the install, to also post a sound clip of this system when you're done? I want to upgrade my exhaust too and this is exactly what I'm looking for, and for a good price too. I'm also trying to "restore" my '93 as well, so I'm trying not to do any of my half-a** hackjob mods haha.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Hope the install goes well. Please post up the finished product.

Heath

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i to am going to use a OBS stroker cat back system on the 94 i just got. just makes is easier to install.