4" exhaust build

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Mine is much shorter, is your muffler 4"? Point is, when I get on mine it's a little louder and rumbly then I really want. I hoped it would be more of a glasspack moan I guess then the reverberating rumble. This could be all from my 5" tip, or just cause it's shorter.

Yeah, the muffler in the thread is 4" in/out. In all honesty, I've added another muffler since posting, to give me a total of two. Being that the truck is so long, and the muffler is back by the rear axle, the drone in the cab from 10 feet of 4" pipe underneath was a little more than I desired. Nothing you couldn't talk over, I just preferred a more pleasant ride for me and my passengers.

I just waited til a good deal popped up on CL, then added that second 4" muffler as far forward as I could. The farther forward you place the muffler, the less drone you have. Under the cab, there's barely room for the 4" pipe, let alone a muffler, so right where the cab meets the bed I added it. Now it's almost silent. Maybe one could experiment with placing the single muffler in the kit up by the cab. I'm sure that'd be a good balance if one so desired

Last edited:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yeah, mine started with a screaming deal on a $35 muffler off craigslist and then turned into a $200+ exhaust system.LOL

My muffler is 4inch louvered reversible. Ummm, AFE, that's it, I put it in the "quiet" direction also and it's pretty loud. Sounds real good, but if you're pulling or working it, it makes a lot of noise.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Brian, do the pipes that connect to the manifolds come out as 2 1/2 and merge into 3?

The Y pipe goes something like this:

- Drivers side is 2-1/2 from manifold to right before the Y.

- Passenger side is 2-1/2 til the Y.

From the Y back, it's 3". The Y is a good design too, not a 90-degree meet, but a good Y with 3" on either side.

Check out the picture, you can see how it compares to the stock straw they called an exhaust :cookoo

You must be registered for see images attach

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
It just hit me:kick: LOL....and I was gonna have one made. I may still get a quote on it though.:dunno A buddy and I were going to have his father-in-law make us some mandrel bent ones. ;Sweet

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
It just hit me:kick: LOL....and I was gonna have one made. I may still get a quote on it though.:dunno A buddy and I were going to have his father-in-law make us some mandrel bent ones. ;Sweet

That'd be cool. I just checked Rock Auto, and this Y-Pipe is not available there anymore. When I went bought mine, I got the last one they had in stock. Now its unavailable there, just fyi..

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I wonder if that's just rockauto. I think I would try calling a Dynomax dealer, they may be able to order one.

I remember that the diagram for that exhaust kit had a mistake in terms of the size clamp needed for where the drivers side connects with the Y. I told them about it, so maybe it's fixed (yeah right).

To my recollection, and Brianedwardss has done it more recent, but I thought that the manifold flanges are 2 1/4 inch, so no matter what you do you have 2 1/4 inch coming from the flange. Then IIRC, where the drivers side meets the Y they called for a 2 1/4 inch clamp, but really it needed a 2 1/2. It was either that or they called for a 2 1/2, and it was crimped down to where you needed a 2 1/4. Anyway, I did a big **** write up over on the other side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online